In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Confirm loading 148gr hollow base wadcutter with 2

Can someone confirm the loading for a .38 special 148 grain hollow base wadcutter using Winchestoer 231 ball powder? I have been told 3.1 as well as 3-3.3 grains will do it for indoor target shooting.

However, when I purchased one pound of it I checked a reloading manual (too cheap to buy it) and the closest I could find was I believe a 150 grain solid wadcutter showing 3.7-4.2 grains. So now I am a little confused.

Any comments or advice?

Comments

• Options
    SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a 148 gr bullet - Use 3.5-4.0 gr of 231

This comes from Hodgdon.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    You use less powder with a hollow based 148 wc than a bevel based. The idea of the hollow base is that it takes less pressure to expand the sides to seal in the barrel. 3 to 3.3 is correct. I see the current Hornady manual trying to list both type bullets with the same loading data. The hollow base will be in the 750-800 fps range with these loads. This bullet is designed for target shooting.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello listen to Pearyw hot load on hollow base will blow the skirt off and leave it in the barrel some times. Next round out the gun and buldged barrel[xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. 3-3.3 it shall be.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guys are right.
    I have loaded a lot of .38 HBWC with 3.3 grains of W231. I originally wanted 3.1 but 3.3 was what the fixed bushing for my measure delivered, so I got happy with that. Not much over 700 fps in a real revolver.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please buy a manual or pick up the hogdon, W-W , accurate etc. info for free at the store.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    Please buy a manual or pick up the hogdon, W-W , accurate etc. info for free at the store.

Well, yeah. But had I purchased that manual I mentioned I would referred to too large a powder charge.