In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300WM 175gr Sierra HPBT pet load?

DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
I have plenty of 168 and 175 gr HPBT Sierras but no one has a good pet load ( or start load) for the 300 Win Mag.

Everyone wants to push the 190 gr bullets.

Anyone have some good (safe) starters...I usually stock IMR powders but am willing to try new things

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DENWA,

The reason is that the case capacity of the .300 Win. Mag. is better suited to the 190 gr. Match bullets. I use the 175 gr. Match bullets in my .308 Win. chambers. With a little common sense and some testing, you can derive some very good information from what's available in your reloading manuals or on the Internet. A chronograph will help when developing loads.

This is from the IMR website and will work to get you started with loads for the 175 gr. Match bullets. Just be sure to start at the beginning loads and work up slowly watching for signs of pressure. I actually like the IMR-7828 SSC better than the IMR-4831 or the standard 7828 in this case and capacity. Barrels could stand to be a bit longer but oh well!

168 GR. HDY BTHP IMR 7828 .308" 3.340" 75.0 2888 50,900 PSI 80.0C 3129 62,300 PSI
    168 GR. HDY BTHP IMR 4831 .308" 3.340" 70.0 2854 50,500 PSI 75.5C 3115 62,700 PSI
    168 GR. HDY BTHP IMR 4350 .308" 3.340" 68.0 2883 50,900 PSI 72.5 3089 61,300 PSI

Other powders to consider in my order of preference:

Re-22

Ramshot Magnum

AA-XMR-3100

V V N-560 (hunting not target shooting)

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was just hoping someone had a real good pet load for the 175gr... I like to start somewhere with a good (accurate)load and try to improve for my rifle.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DENWA,

From Sierra's latest book start loads are:

AA4350-62.2 gr.
    IMR4350- 64 gr.
    RE-19 -65.4 gr.
    IMR4831 -67.9 gr.
    AA3100 -67.1
    H4831SC -68.2
    Magpro -69.3
    RE-22 -72 gr.
    IMR7828 -72.3
    H-1000 71.2
    Magnum -75 gr.
    RE-25 -65.7

As noted those are all the beginning loads of the various powders for the .300 Win Mag.

Like nononsense pointed out the 300 Win Mag starts usually with 180 gr. hunting loads and up. I feel, however, that the 175's will be a good load for flat shooting on non windy days. -good luck

Edit:

Sorry, missed the point of your second post. I would start(me personally) with the RE-19 and the H4350. I like a faster powder with the lighter bullets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DENWA,

I'm sorry you're disappointed with the information. Many of us could supply you with "pet" loads which may or may not work in your rifle. The basic rule that holds true in most instances is that every rifle is unique and what works for me will most likely not work for you. That's why we all spend the time and make the effort to develop the loads that work for our rifles individually.

Within a range of loads with a given powder/bullet combination, there can be at least two nodes that will be accurate in a rifle. Given the differences in barrel length, weight, diameters, differences in chamber size, stresses imparted by manufacturing, correct bedding, incorrect bedding, no bedding at all and the other variables involved with the harmonics of rifle's system, it's unlikely that accurate loads will overlap with other rifles. They could be close but you still need to determine the best loads for your rifle.

Best of luck with your quest!
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a 165gr I use H414, a nice ball powder. 67 Grains shoot pretty good for a nice low recoil round.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nononsense,

I'm not dissapointed at all. I completely agree with you. I just like to hear what others are using for similar loads. Half of the adventure is tayloring the load to the individual rifle.

My uncle always asks why I lable my reloads for each rifle and why I always shoot my reloads instead of "top quality" Federal ammo.

Then I explain to him that the rifle choses the ammo, not me. He always wants to shoot the 150gr. bullets(no matter what rifle caliber etc) I always shoot what the rifle's best groups are.

In this case the 300WM is the biggest cartridge I've ever owned. I'm new to this "Magnum" crazy world and the heaviest Bullets I own are the 180gr Nozler Partitions. everything else are 175 and smaller.

This is gonna be great fun...with my sore sholder...

Thanks
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DENWA,

Two Words while you work up loads...PAST PAD! Get one...they may cost a little but they make absorbing recoil just about free. Quick turnaround on the investment.
    I like your concept with the rifles. Try as many loads as you can and see what the rifle likes. Unfortunately, while I can provide data I can't go with a close first hand on this one. It has been years(and a few moves) since I last reloaded .300 Win Mag for a friend. Back then I used some 4320 for light bullets and 4350 as well. And 4831 for heavier bullets. Hadn't even used AA, VV, Ramshot or Reloader yet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Another inexpensive solution is to get one of those 'Gel'-type bicycle seat covers from one of the big mart stores. Use it like an additional pad behind the rifle stock. They are terrific for testing.

Best.