In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

12 ga reduced recoil loads

agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
I'm looking for a reduced recoil recipie for 12 ga, using a AA hull and 7/8 or 1 oz of shot. I'd like to have something that will still cycle a Remington 1100 or an A-5. The cheap target loads I've been buying are a little too stout for a gentleman I shoot with.

Comments

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by agman1999
    I'm looking for a reduced recoil recipie for 12 ga, using a AA hull and 7/8 or 1 oz of shot. I'd like to have something that will still cycle a Remington 1100 or an A-5. The cheap target loads I've been buying are a little too stout for a gentleman I shoot with.

I've always used Hodgdon's Data in their Cowboy section on their web site for mild loads in everything.
    http://www.hodgdon.com/data/cowboy/12wincom.php

Smitty
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started a project like this 3-4 years ago for my daughter but she quit me before I finished it. There are some good recomendations using WW AA cases,the real short gray AA wads, and Clays or Universal powder(I don't remember which) that matched the Win. low recoil training load. Check the manuals for the exact components- don't use info you get from here or anywhere else. I doubt these will function an auto consistently. The factory loads don't work the autos I've tried them in. Usually short stroke or stove pipe. The lightest I've tried that were close to 100% were the AA light 1 oz loads and there are lots of those loads listed in the load books using about any case you might have. I would guess it takes about 1oz at 1000fps to make an auto work 100% but a real slick one might go a little lower.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alliant has a nice FREE loadbook. I have trouble with anything in my 1187 that is less than 1 1/8 and 1200 fps. 1oz loads will work at 1200, but they have to be consistant.