In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is This A Safe Load?

gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
There are no factory recipies for Alliance Unique powder in 45 Long Colt with 230 grain LRN.

Interpulating between the Unique's recipies for 200gr (8.0gr charge) & 250gr (9.0gr charger) bullets, I came up with 8.5 grains for a charge.

Is this a safe load?

Target shooting w/Ruger revolver.

Thanks

Moved to Competition and Reloading forum

Comments

• Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds fair....I guess we will know when you post again.

AWW- DAMN
    I'll play by the rules.....see ya on the reloading forum.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I don't know where you got the load data BUT as a rule of thumb the heavier the bullet in a given case the lighter the powder charge your 2 examples don't show this relationship I would go to the number of reloading sites on line and see it in print rather then taking the word of a stranger. Just my $.02
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    8.5 gr works great!

Cooked off 20 rounds with normal recoil and real nice accuracy.

Lived to tell about it.[:)]

Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the Speer Reloading Manual #13, page 581, there are charge listings for a 230 grain CAS lead bullet, round/flat point, using Unique powder. The minimum charge is 7.8 grains and the maximum is 8.5 grains. RJSnow
  • Options
    knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WARNING!!!!

You stated that you are using a Ruger revolver. Is this the New model Vaquero or the older one, I'm guessing that your using an Vaquero. If you do have the New Model be warned, the frame on these are not as strong as the earlier ones. Also I shoot 200 grain RNFP and use Unique also. I only load it with 6.5 gr charge and find it to have a good hit on the targets and light enough that fallow up shots are not a problem. I don't know what you use your 45 loads for so, I can only speculate.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunpaq

Is this a safe load?

It just depends on which end of the gun your standing at.[:)]

Smitty