In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

JustC

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
I wanted to take a second and thank you for the information you post. I have learned several things from these postings that I had never even considered. Much appreciated. Brian.

Comments

• Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know, this is the wrong place fer this.[:0]
    Good to see your still around, My spinal colom is still messing with me.[:(!]
    edited November -1
    I believe that you are a big fan of the .220 swift correct? What make and model do you have? I am curious because I am in the market for a smaller round which will be used for varmint/paper punching and a little deer hunting if I can get the heavier bullets to stabilize and shoot good. I am looking at a new Ruger M77. This is my top choice because I want a lighter gun and shorter barrel(24") that I can carry around with me all day. The major thing that I am worried about is the 1:14 twist and how it will shoot the heavier bullets, say the 60 gr. Nosler Partition and up. Would I be best off just rebarreling it? And if so, what brand and twist rate would you reccomend?--I idealy want to be able to shoot the lower gr. bullets up to the 60 gr. partition. I know that every gun will react a little different, but your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Jon
    edited November -1
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am using the rem 700 VSSF (not really a light gun)

100_0236.jpg

The 1:14 twist mayyyyy be able to stabilize a 60gr, but not to the degree a 1:12 or 1:9 1:8 etc will. I find the 55gr to be about max for the 14 twist tubes.

if you are going to buy a rifle to be rebarreled, I would use a rem700 (easier to work on and many more aftermarket parts). The barrel can be from any of the top names,...Lilja, Kreiger, Hart, PacNor, Shilen, Kostyshin, Mike Rock, Schneider, etc etc.

I prefer a lower groove rate recently,..say something in the 4 groove or even 3 groove version but a 5 groove is fine as is a 6 groove. I personally would run a twist in the 1:9 or 1:8 range so I had the option of runnning heavy pills for hunting. If I planned on using the new sierra 90gr pills (which have to have a fantastic BC) I would go 1:8, 1:7, and possible even a 1:6.5 tube,..but in the velocity the swift can deliver, your lighter pills may suffer from a core seperation in flight.

If you don't ever plan on using the 80-90gr pills,..I'd say 1:8 or 1:9 for use from anything 40gr on up to 60-70gr.
    edited November -1
    I think what I am going to end up doing, is buy a Ruger 77 or Remington 700(if I can find one for the right price) and see how it shoots the 60-70 gr. pills. If is shoots them good, I will probably just stick with the regular barrel, if not I will try a barrel more in the 1:8 twist range.

Jon