In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Neck Turning

Is turning necks and flash hole deburring a practical thing to do when loading for hunting? How much improvement could I realistically expect from doing these 2 procedures? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    LongShot 220LongShot 220 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does turning the necks on my 220,243 and my 300. make them more accurate? Does it improve consistancey. is it worth the money? and how much does a good one cost.
  • Options
    LongShot 220LongShot 220 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just like to shoot tight groups,so bought a 6ppc bench gun.Problem is need to turn case necks. looking at the Foster but figured I'd get your opinion. Which do you use Thanks, Vernon
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Many people will have a different opinion so this is just mine. If the guns are hunting guns and you are using cases fired in your gun then it is a waste of money . However if say you are using 308 cases to form your 243 cases then you will need to turn the necks of these cases. if your rifle has a custom "MATCH" chamber then you need to turn the necks . The reason to turn necks is to allow for room to have the neck expand to release the bullet when the round is fired. If the neck is too thick from forming cases or if the chamber is undersized in the neck area"MATCH CHAMBER" then the bullet will bind and cause high pressure . The other reason to turn the neck is to make sure the wall thickness is the same all the way around not thick on one side and thin on the other . IMHO good Brass will not have this problem to the extent to hurt any thing in all but the bench rest guns. AGAIN "YOU MILEAGE MAY VARY"
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It makes for consistent cases; consistent cases are good for accuracy. You may find a batch of brass has very uniform necks while another batch is thick on one side and thin on the other. All things considered the brass with the consistent necks will align the bullet in the bore better. Better, more consistent alignment helps accuracy.

My Encore 6MMBR has a .262 neck...... The new cases must be turned or pressures would be dangerous, if the round would chamber at all.

The .243 Encore barrel shot very well, but when I turned the necks for consistency it identified the best cases for accuracy. I kept them separate and use them for special testing and shooting.

One problem you may have is getting the necks too thin. If you do the re-sizer won't even touch the neck, the bullets will fall into the cases. If that happens you will need a neck bushing die to get some neck tension.

Al things considered unless you have a custom gun with a tight chamber you probably won't see much of a difference but it is a confidence builder for sure. That always helps.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Longshot 220,

Neck turning won't make enough difference in the hunting arena. Unless as Perry pointed out you need to remove brass from the neck so it won't be too tight after sizing down another caliber causing high pressures ehn chambered. (edited to make sense)

Now, if you are shooting bench and ultimate accuracy is your end goal neck turning is necessary. What you are going to need to figure out is just exactly how much neck you are going to need to turn. If you had a custom rifle with a standard neck, and not a tight neck, then you may not need to turn it. You may be able to measure how much your necks are getting resized to and then figure out just exactly how much your necks need to be turned. Your end product should be a resized case neck that goes into the chamber neck area within 10,000ths.

-good luck
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    turning necks makes a difference, but becomes less noticeable with large chambers/throats. It will increase consistency of neck tension, which will in turn make a difference in ES and SD. This will show up at longer ranges as an increase in accuracy.

for hunting, I find it not necessary for factory throats. I have turned necks in factory chambers for ultimate accuracy,..but I also use bushing dies to be sure I get consistent neck tension with the thinner neck walls.

that being said,..your cost doesn't just include the neck turning tool, appropriate mandrals, expander irons, and neck thickness micrometer,......but it will also include bushing dies and bushings.