In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

41 Long Colt data

tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
I have in my possesion a 1897 vintage, factory lettered Colt SAA in 41 Long Colt. It came to me with a supply of ammo, that had been hand loaded, bullet mold, dies, hand loading tool, etc. I would like to get dies for my press, and also would like to know where there would be any smokeless data for it. Also, since this uses a heeled bullet, does any one make a bullet for it, or will that mold I have need to be used? I have purchased 5 boxes of the Ultramax ammo for it, and they shoot nice, but are very expensive.

Comments

• shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a web search...I don't have the stuff near me, it around here somewhere but there is load data out there and cast bullets are available. there are also molds if you want to cast your own.. Off the top of my head...check Mount Baldy for pre made bullets, they make very good ones. There is also a small company in Alaska who will cast anything you want.
  • shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The outfit in Alaska is called...The Bull Shop, they have a website
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you know what the hand loaded ammo is? Your Colt is a black powder job and as such should be loaded with same. You can get hollow base bullets from www.buffaloarms.com to fit your revolver and thus don't have to worry about the heeled bullet hassle. They obturate to fill out to fit the barrel. I'm not familiar with the Ultramax ammo but unless it is loaded with black or a very light smokeless powder, I wouldn't risk MY gun shooting it. Emery
  • knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mazo kid
    Do you know what the hand loaded ammo is? Your Colt is a black powder job and as such should be loaded with same. I'm not familiar with the Ultramax ammo but unless it is loaded with black or a very light smokeless powder, I wouldn't risk MY gun shooting it. Emery

I agree with mazo, hand loads are to be strayed away from. You don't know if this loads are correctly or incorrectly loaded. As for the 1887, it was meant to shoot black powder and should only have black powder used in it. If you want to risk it, you could shoot a light and I mean LIGHT load of smokeless, but it is you gun and hand/hands, do what you want.
    I didn't even know that people were shooting 41 Colts. As far as I knew the caliber was discontinued and had not returned unlike the 44-40 and 44 colt. Good luck on your search.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mazo kid, and knight rider,
    I have to apologize, as i hit the wrong key(I hit 8 instead of 9). My Colt is a 1897 made(I have gotten a factory letter) early smokeless powder transistion gun. It has the smokeless frame, and the black powder barrel with the wide, shallow lands and grooves. I don't trust the hand loads, and will be dismantling them for the components. It is a beautiful shooter, in about 70-75% over all condition. The only thing it is lacking to be letter perfect is the hard rubber grips...I am still looking for some originals. All I need is some smokeless data if I can find it. If not, then it shall be Triple Seven. I have a bullet mold, and plan on slugging the bore, and cylinder to find the best bullet diameter size. This thing really does shoot nice for being 110 years old. It will still cluster 5 rounds in 2-3 inches or better at 25 yards.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW- Cartridges of the World lists the 41 Long Colt with a 200 gr bullet over 3.4 grains of Bullseye as duplicating the factory load. Using a hollow based bullet of 0.387 diameter. Your mileage may vary.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    hello older Ideal hand book list 3.0 grains Bulls-Eye with either a 196 Grain heeled bullet #386177 or 200 grain hollowbase #386178. they also list 5.0 grains of UNIQUE they also list a load using No.6 powder as well as No. 5066 if you have some of that. Discontinued YEARS Ago . I would say these are old Loads I would go with the Unique because the above loads are listed as MAX only 700 FPS with Bulls-Eye but 890FPS with Unique that tells me that bullseye is too fast a burn rate and thus higher pressure.
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tsr1965, that makes more sense. I would do as you are thinking and dismantle the rounds for components, or at least to see what is in them. I have a smokeless 41 LC also and used it to fire the smokeless ammo that Remington ran many years ago so as to get the brass to load my BP Thunderers. Now Starline makes the brass so I don't have to do that any more. Lots less expensive, too!! Emery