In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

220 swift handloads

I just purchased a new Ruger 77 in 220 swift. I intend to reload for target and varmit hunting. Any suggestions on a good load for each. I have never loaded the 220, but have a lot of experience with other rifle and pistol handloads. I guess what I am looking for is some help to save a lot of time and money by eliminating combinations that don't suit my purpose. Any help would be appreciated. Of course any load combinations given will be approached from the low end and worked up to. Have been told that Reloader 15 and 55gr spitzer is a good place to start. Any comments?

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RL15 and the 50gr v-max has won me a few factory class matches. Also,..the 22's seem to love the 52gr BTHP match bullets from sierra.

I have some 52gr match pills from Euber that I will be trying soon.

the 1:14 twist on factory 220's hampers it ability to run the long heavy bullets,..so 52-53gr would be as heavy as I was to mess with. The 55's are on the verge,..some barrels will and some won't with the 14 twist.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    olivegreen,

A friend of mine out in Nevada shoots mostly his Swift. He likes 60 gr. partitions while I prefer the A-max's. Anyhow, the one point we agree on is 39 gr. of IMR 4064. Mind you I don't shoot the Swift on a regular basis. Only when I go out there and shoot his rifle with him. But that is the load.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    My #1 220 Swift Ackley like's RL-15 and the 52 grain A-max, and nothing very much heavier.......
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    40grs of Win 760 with a 50gr V-max
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto on 4064. Varget works well, too.
    Amen on the caution of starting low. 39 grains works well for some with 60 grain pills. That charge is over max. in my Model 70 with 52 grains bullets. I backed down to 38 grains, even though the first and only 5 rounds I tried at 39 went into 1/4" m.o.a. out of my stock, sporter tube. Diffences is chamber and barrel dimensions, etc.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    LongShot 220LongShot 220 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger varmit target and love it. A couple of friends of mine each have one, the only way to tell apart is by the scope rings. My vt likes 44grs of imr 4831 and 55 nosler bt. It likes 52 grainers v tips, 40 gr bt. That gun is not picky at all. It shoots the imr 4831/55gr into a dime ( 10 shots) In fact all the best loads for the swift in the Nosler#4 are great in my gun.
    good luck.

ps I almost bought something else, glade i didn't
    sweet
  • Options
    DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger 77V in 220 Swift. It likes 41.5 gr. of WW 760, CCI BR2 primer in W-W cases and some handmade 52 gr. hollow points. This will shoot sub .5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards when I do my part.

Factory loads shoot into about 5/8" - 3/4" in this rifle.

I hope you find the load your rifle likes.
  • Options
    dljackodljacko Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two rugers, one a varmint and the other the latest stainless laminated left hand which I had a 28" 1:12 magna ported barrel fitted (it was 270). (I am left handed, by the way!)
    Over the years I have tried hundreds of different powder bullet combinations and the swift can be a little finnicky so I now have a load using a local brand of 52gr boat tails and a locally made Australian powder which is always available. If you try to stick to something that can always be purchased you can usually work up an accurate enough load and know that you won't run out of product. Here we shoot mainly wallabies and roos (yep Skippy) and over thirty years I have tried every powder, bullet weight and rifle twist combination and have stuck to using the same load for the past 10 years or so. I hope I don't sound vague, but I believe on the old adage of 'when your'e on a good thing-stick to it'
    Regards, David
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have settled on H414 for any bullet in the swift. I like the 52gr Sierra - my heavy barreled Ruger does right under an inch at 200yds. It's a 2 not a typo.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found much success with 36gr's of H335 with a 50gr vmax.
    Shoots consistantly 1/4 inch (or better) groups at 100yds & 3/4 inch groups from the bench at 200yds.
  • Options
    rifleman1956rifleman1956 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first load I try in all the swifts I have loaded for is 40gr of Win 760 with either a 50 or 55 gr bullet. It shoots great in all I have tried it in. Very seldom do you have to go up or down a little to shoot a tight group, I call it the ole standby load.
  • Options
    LongShot 220LongShot 220 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RG666, how much speed do you get out of that load with the 36gr.of H335 and 50gr V Max? I know my load with the IMR 4831 loaded to the max shoots just like Nosler guide said it would.I am at work so I dont know or remember what that was. Just wonder'n. I might try it and see. I know that my VT likes the speed. It does not shot anything slow or it gets junky quick.
  • Options
    Made2pleezUMade2pleezU Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love the Swift and use it heavy for Prairie Dog and Varmenting. After thousands of rounds my preference is the following load...

Sierra 52 gr. HPBT Match King Moly Coat
    38 gr. IMR 4064
    CCI Large Rifle Magnum Primer #250

This is really a reach out and touch me load that works from up close to as far as 7-800 yards in perfect conditions.

"Smith and Wesson was the first "point and click" interface! Terry
  • Options
    7mmbr7mmbr Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am currently on my 4th .220 Swift ( 1 to fire and 1 stolen ) and my current Savage 112 BVSS-S LOVES 36.5 grns of IMR 4064, Nosler Bal. Tip 55grn, CCI-BR2 primers in a Win. case. It will consistently print sub-1/2 moa 5 shot. My other true love Swift was a Ruger M77V and it really liked H380 and Sierra 52 BTHP Match. For what its worth.