In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee loadmaster question

remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
i'm thinking of getting a progressive press for pistol reloading, 9mm and 45acp. was wondering what comes with the press and if there are other things that i would need to buy to speed things up and make simpilar. how does the powder dispenser work as far as changing powder charges? i'm not new to reloading, but new to progressive presses. any help would be great.... thanks in advance...

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    As a current load-master owner..... Who has loaded 50,000+++++ rounds on it..... Buy a Dillon
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    what richbug said
    get a Dillon
  • Options
    Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A buddy of mine bought one. It would constantly hang up, throw double charges, and break the primer feed. He had to fix it more than he reloaded with it. It wasn't just a POS, it was a dangerous POS. It turned me off to all Lee equipment.

I eventually bought a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP. I'm really pleased with it!
  • Options
    SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee makes great equipment, just not progressive loaders.

I'll agree with the others, don't get a Lee progressive.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i've never been a fan of lee dies for some odd reason, dont have alot of proof to my decision, i just like my rcbs better, was looking for a cheap but effective and somewhat hassle free progressive press and figured i'd start at the bottom of the price scale.... dillions are famed for being good equiptment, just not sure i'm gonna warrant spending that much for the amt. of 9 and 45 that i shoot... might find some buddies that want to throw a few nickles in the kitty to help buy me the dillion[:D]
  • Options
    SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't necessarily need to get a Dillon. Hornady and RCBS make good ones. You just don't want Lee.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    was hoping to hear that thanks
  • Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do get a Lee Loadmaster you may want to purchase a block of time with a good psychiatrist. Mine has been the most infuriating/frustrating piece of equipment I've ever owned. Specifically, the priming system is really bad--it chews up primers, jambs and has expensive little plastic parts that get chewed up as well. The indexing system is very fickle and can be a real pain in the butt. I still occasionally use mine as a "three-stage" press for charging, seating and crimping when using pre-primered brass. Get a Dillon--they are not that much more expensive.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello don't discount a( STAR ) IMHO the best reloader for pistol ever made . You have email "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Perry, you got mail.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a interesting section of Lee's web site.http://leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html
    It shows you how to operate most of their equipment on these videos. They show everything from the presses in operation to how to adjust dies etc.

Smitty
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That "Customer Operating Reloader" video lasted about as long as the Loadmaster my buddy had, i.e. about 20 to 30 seconds...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger2005
    That "Customer Operating Reloader" video lasted about as long as the Loadmaster my buddy had, i.e. about 20 to 30 seconds...

Your buddy must be a * then. But then some idiots can tear up a steel ball with a rubber mallet.

Smitty
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    Youtube has a bunch of videos of people setting up and using loadmasters without incident. Loadmasters need to be tweaked and adjusted just right for everything to work... also, you need to remember to keep the moving parts well lubricated or else it will bind and hang.

Honestly, Loadmasters are an engineering nightmare. Way too many moving parts, and it seems like everything is designed to just *barely* work. The slightest grain of dirt or too little lubrication and bad things will happen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

Your buddy must be a * then. But then some idiots can tear up a steel ball with a rubber mallet.

Smitty

Actually, that buddy of mine is a gunsmith and custom rifle builder, who builds some pretty nice custom muzzleloaders. Here's a photo of five of my muzzleloaders he built for me.
    oc04_009.jpg

He's also only been reloading for 25 or 30 years. I was at his place a number of different times when he was trying to get the Loadmaster to work, or replacing broken parts on it.

The "dangerous POS" description was mine, not his. I think "*" is the proper description for anyone you buys a Loadmaster. I'd rather not waste my money. In fact, I'd prefer to not even be beside someone who shooting ammo made with one.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Smitty

Here are some more photos of those muzzleloaders my * idiot buddy built. This shot shows the triger stripe maple butt stocks in more detail.
    oc04_011.jpg

This photo shows the patch boxes with incised carving.
    oc04_010.jpg

This photo shows the butt stock on one of the rifles, along with the incised carving, brass wire and silver pin inlays.
    oc04_014.jpg

This photo shows the poured pewter nose caps on a couple of the rifles.
    oc04_013.jpg

This photo shows more of the incised carving, and engrave escutcheon on one of the rifles.
    oc04_012.jpg

This buddy of mine is very meticulous and particular about what he does. I'm very particular about my stuff too. That's why I don't buy Lee equipment!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This buddy of mine is very meticulous and particular about what he does. I'm very particular about my stuff too. That's why I don't buy Lee equipment!

There's thousands of satisified Lee Customers out here so that tells me that your buddy is still a * reguardless of how nice a gun he builds.

Smitty
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not trying to be insulting, Smitty, but have you ever tried a Dillon so you understand what you are comparing? I have tried both and I prefer the Dillon also.

I just sold the Lee Pro-1000 on ebay. Lee stuff can work OK, but Dillon stuff is much easier to use and Dillon offers a lifetime warranty that they do back up.

I just think the opinion of someone that has owned and used both would be more able to make an informed decision.

If you have owned both and want to sell your Dillon, I don't think you'll have any problem getting rid of it. I have 5 Dillons now and no immediate plans to sell any but maybe the Square Deal (to my younger brother) who is in need of a reloader.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GUNFUNCO
    I have 5 Dillons now and no immediate plans to sell any but maybe the Square Deal (to my younger brother) who is in need of a reloader.

If you owned one Classic Lee Turret you wouldn't need 5 Dillons. There's more to speed than just how many rounds you can crank out per hour. I can load a few rounds of all 9 calibers I reload for in an hour on my Lee Turret and not have to use a single tool to do it with. Try doing that on your Dillon.

Smitty
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Smitty-I wouldn't need to do that. AS well as the Dillons, I have 2 RCBS Rock Chuckers, another smaller RCBS press, 1 Lyman turret, 1 Redding turret, 3 Lee single stage presses, 1 Lyman hand press, an ideal tong tool, and a couple of Lee reloader kits.

If I looked around here hard enough I could probably find a couple more as well. I also have 4 tumblers, 2 electronic scales, 4 manual scales as well as case trimmers and a whole host of other reloading equipment. I have been reloading for about 28 years and started with a plastic mallet and a Lee reloading tool.

I have reloaded thousands of rounds of ammo, sometimes a couple of thousand in one evening.

I once bought a set of Lee dies for the 7.65 Argentine Mauser to load up some ammo. With any good die set, you can run a 30-06 case into the die to form the brass but when I did it with the Lee set, they wouldn't chamber. I called Lee and they told me I would have to have a special die made at extra cost. I returned the dies to Midway and bought some RCBS dies. They formed the brass perfectly and didn't need to have a special die made. The Lee wouldn't do the job without paying for a custom made die so there was no cost saving by buying the lesser product.

In any case, this post started out talking about progressive presses and you now state you load on a turret which isn't even a progressive so it demonstates how much you know about reloading. Instead of insulting other people here, you should go and check out a good reloading manual. I would have offered to send you one for free but after your insulting of others, I think I will find someone more deserving to give it to.

You state that there is more to speed than how many rounds per hour you can crank out. This does not make a lot of sense. In fact your whole last statement did not make a whole lot of sense. You state that you can reload for all 9 calibers that you load for in one hour. Well I can't alone reload for all 50 or more calibers that I reload for in an hour. You would have a hard time loading 50 rounds for 4 calibers with your press in an hour, so you must not shoot very much or very often. I have 2 boys that could help me and we could go thru 500 rounds in less than an hour in our backyard. Although we do not often do that much at one sitting, we have shot 3 times in the last week or so and I think we shot 3 different calibers last week so I don't have time to play around when I sit down to reload. I set up one of my Dillons and reload 500 or 1000 rounds at one time while you sit and play with your little Lee turret. Your childish responses tell me that you have never owned a Dillon. When you grow up and start to respect others, maybe you can get a decent job and buy some REAL reloading equipment. DILLON or one of the others that back up their stuff with a lifetime warranty. Heck, Dillon will even let you try it for 30 days and return it if you don't like it.

PS-In my earlier post, I said I wasn't trying to be insulting. Now, I am trying to be insulting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    PS-In my earlier post, I said I wasn't trying to be insulting. Now, I am trying to be insulting.

Actually you're just showing your ignorance!

Smitty
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yup, but I did it without calling anyone names.[:D]

And I noticed you did not list how long you have been reloading or any other qualifications you used to base your decision on.

Also, judging by the comments in this post by a lot of experienced reloaders, it appears that Lee has thousands of dis-satisfied customers as well. In fact it looks like an eleven-to-one ratio of dis-satisfied customers to the one satisfied one. Yet you insult what is obviously a gunsmith and gunmaker of very high quality arms along with his friend who is just trying to help a fellow shooter/reloader.

In reading other posts, I noticed that you often make comments that don't necessarily take other peoples needs into account. Like recommending a small thumler's tumbler as being "plenty big enough" without knowing how much brass the person intends to tumble at one time. If the person wants to do 800 rounds of 38 special at a time, I don't think that tumbler would be anywhere near big enough.

You comment on these posts as if you were some expert, but it is pretty obvious to me that there are a lot of different kinds of reloading equipment that you don't have much experience with.

You are correct in that I may be showing my ignorance by getting into this with you, but I think your advice sometimes runs quite to the contrary of what many experienced reloaders tend to believe and I genuinely want others here to get the equipment that best suits their needs the first time around.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been reloading since 1963.

Smitty
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not to interrupt you twos pissing contest, but I will make a few more comments on the loadmaster.

It can be an excellent press if you are mechanically adept, and are capable of understanding what is happening. Timing is critical, . Any competent gunsmith(not bubba the parts changer) should be able to make one sing, as the same issues are encountered on it as you would have on a revolver, or autoloading firearm. It is capable of loading every bit as fast as an equally equipped Dillon 650.

It is not a press for the ignorant, inept, of for someone who is incapable of following instructions. Nor is it a press for the beginner.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rich,

I don't want to start an argument with you too, but, IMO, comparing a Loadmaster to Dillon 650 is kind of like comparing a Hi Point to a Colt 1911. Yes, they're both single action semiautos, and they both take single stack mags, but that's where the similarity ends. The Loadmaster, IMO, is poorly designed and cheaply made. If you don't value your time, AND, you like to tinker more than reload, then maybe the Loadmaster is the best choice. I wouldn't recommend anybody, except maybe Smitty, buying one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rich,

I don't want to start an argument with you too, but, IMO, comparing a Loadmaster to Dillon 650 is kind of like comparing a Hi Point to a Colt 1911. Yes, they're both single action semiautos, and they both take single stack mags, but that's where the similarity ends. The Loadmaster, IMO, is poorly designed and cheaply made. If you don't value your time, AND, you like to tinker more than reload, then maybe the Loadmaster is the best choice. I wouldn't recommend anybody, except maybe Smitty, buying one.

Did I anywhere say that the load-master was of the same quality?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richbug

It is not a press for the ignorant, inept, of for someone who is incapable of following instructions. Nor is it a press for the beginner.

Exactly! [:D]

Smitty
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The guy that was asking was someone who wanted to buy his first progressive.

I think that would qualify him as a beginner (at least as far as progressives go)so Smittys advice runs directly in contrast with the advice that it is "not a press for the beginner". I can reload on a Lee press, I just prefer to use the Dillon because I think it works better, lasts longer and is lifetime warrantied so it retains a higher resale value if you ever decide to sell it. In my mind, that more than justifies the slightly higher initial cost. I would still like to know if Smitty even ever laid hands on a Dillon, as many of us that have tried both still prefer the Dillon.

As for as reloading since 1963, if that is true he has been reloading for a longer time than I, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he has more knowledge about progressive reloading presses. My main beef with Smitty is that he starts name-calling to people that disagree with him but it is quite obvious that he is in the minority opinion when it comes to progressive presses. He certainly has a right to voice his opinion about what has worked for him, but calling someone names seems to be a demonstration of his frustration when someone disagrees with his opinion. I think people should try to be civil with those whose opinion is somewhat different than your own and I think his name-calling antics serve no purpose here. After all, we are all shooters and gun owners here and the insults he made to others here kind of fired me up. I don't take well to people that try to bully others. I never have and don't think I ever will. If we could pull it off and if he ever wants to sit down with a Lee while I sit down with a Dillon, we could see whose progressive goes longer without breaking down and who backs them up better when they do. We could even compare caliber conversions times and see how that affects the outcome.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My main beef with Smitty is that he starts name-calling to people that disagree with him but it is quite obvious that he is in the minority opinion when it comes to progressive presses. He certainly has a right to voice his opinion about what has worked for him, but calling someone names seems to be a demonstration of his frustration when someone disagrees with his opinion.

You're the one that jumped in uninvited and started bad mouthing Lee Products. If you're going to be negative about something then you need to be able to take the heat when it comes back at you. I called your buddy a * not you. But now that I look back I should have called you one to.

The pissing match is over for me. You can carry on by yourself I won't be visiting this thread any longer. Enjoy.

Smitty
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My main beef with Smitty is that he starts name-calling to people that disagree with him but it is quite obvious that he is in the minority opinion when it comes to progressive presses. He certainly has a right to voice his opinion about what has worked for him, but calling someone names seems to be a demonstration of his frustration when someone disagrees with his opinion.

The pissing match is over for me. You can carry on by yourself I won't be visiting this thread any longer. Enjoy.

Smitty

That's the first intelligent thing you've had to say!
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    come on guys give it a rest
    ever one knows you cant beat a Dillon [;)][}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought I said Lee products work OK. I just feel Dillon works much better and is a better value for the money. I even put the offer out on the table to compare.

AS far as the name calling, Smitty, I'll let the others decide if that makes you sound more intelligent. If you don't want to monitor, that is OK. You can throw your name calling around and then go hide behind both your computer and your Lee equipment.[}:)]Me, I was kind of enjoying the banter-I couldn't wait to hear your next response...

As far as to those that have been monitoring our "debate"-I am sorry guys, I thought this was a public forum. [;)] I didn't realize it was a "Smitty" forum.[:o)] Yet, even now, I kinda think some of you enjoy this stuff...

And if I offended any of the other people around here, I honestly apologize.
  • Options
    gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
    edited November -1
    Not sure if I even want to try to respond to the original question but here goes from a person who has been reloading since 1963 also. I started with a single stage Herters press and after 40 years I wanted something a little faster as I am shooting a lot more per week. (200-300 rounds). I bought the loadmaster and once it was finally adjusted it works like a dream. Very quick to change calibers with extra turrets and dies mounted. Powder charge changes were slow but after a few times it got faster. Biggest problem I have is the dumb light pull chain on the powder drop as it will hang up and break. Little more adjustment to get it right. As an engineer I enjoy solving problems and making things work right or as designed. I still use the Herter's press for working up new loads but once I zero in the laodmaster takes over nicely. I think developing a nice, smooth rythm in operation is the key to using the loadmaster.
  • Options
    gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
    edited November -1
    Thanks Smitty on the advise to look at the lee videos. I now know how to adjust that dumb pull chain on the powder measure.
  • Options
    wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had the lee 4-hole turret and it worked very nice. ive had my dillon rl550 for little over a year and then got the case feeder. i love it, i know its a progressive press not an auto progressive. but anyway decided to try a lee pro-1000 out, bought it used from a guy just wanted to see how it worked compared to the others i have. the only problem i really have with the pro-1000 is the primer feed. like many have said that own one u pretty much have to keep the primer feeder full. other then that it does ok for me. i load 45lc with it. but still very glad i have my dillon. would love to try a hornaday lnl auto someday. any of you have one?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP, and it's a pretty slick set up. I don't have the automatic case feeder yet, but will probably get one before long. I also have a Classic Lock-N-Load single stage. You can change the dies back & forth between the progressive and the single stage, and then back again, faster than I could type this sentence; all without have to readjust the dies. I'd highly recommend Hornady!