In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new to competion shooting

mike2555mike2555 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
hi guys,i'm new to the sport.i live in eastern ky does anyone know of an event near me or in my state.thanks

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Mike Go to the NRA web site and look for a gun club near you and also what type of matches are you looking for Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun ? Also go to the SSAS web site and the CMP web site. Cheers Karl.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOTS of different types of competition.
    What kind are you thinking about?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks guys,i'm interested in pistol and rifel.i'm thinking of buying a vulcan ar-15 not a match gun just home defence.do you know if there any good?i recently purchesed a remington 700 7 mm mag.been having fun sighting it in.it seems to shoot really good.thanks agian guys
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mike2555,

I would be wary of buying a Vulcan. It's another name for Hesse who has had some problems in the past when he was Hesse. Stay in the Rock River/DPMS/Oly/bushmaster/Colt category and you won't go wrong. For long range that 7mm you have will do a very good job if you learn to reload it right.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any of these places near you?
    Are you close to another state?
    You might look around that site.

http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?state=KY

Or this one?

http://www.uspsa-area5.org/home/index.php
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the web site info i found a location near me.i have had a few people tell me the vulcan is no good.i went to a dealer today and bought a used bushmaster xm15 for 800,it's in great shape not a scratch on it.i shot about 100 rounds today lol.thanks agian guys you been very helpful
  • Options
    DocBAEDocBAE Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For assorted competitions in various disciplines contact North East KY Fish and Game Association. They have a great facility and are a great bunch of folks. I shoot BPCR there, and enjoy their range very much. Their silhouette course is well made and challenging.