In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt replica reworked to 44 spl

wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
In the same transaction I acquired an Italian replica of a Walker Colt and a Dragoon Model Colt. Both have been reworked into cartridge guns and cambered for 44 spl. Again, these were used in cowboy action shooting and have only been fired using black powder. Any thoughts on loads for these heavier models in 44 spl (either black powder or smokeless)?

Comments

• Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Again without knowing exactly what was done to convert them it's a bit hard to say. Most of the conversions I've handled or had done had new cylinders fitted and some including mine had the barrels lined so I didn't have to shoot heeled bullets. That being said...factoy equivelent cast bullet loads from a Lyman manual should be ok as they are low pressure loads. I have two Open top 44 Specials that I soot 6 grains of Unique with a 250 grain cast bullet and they handle them with no troubles.
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks again, shooter.
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you SURE that these guns were converted to 44 Spl? They normally shoot .451 round balls; it would seem to me the .439 bullet would be too small for the bore size?? I have a Uberti 2nd Mdl Dragoon and a Pietta 58 Remington, both in 44 cal, and have the R&D conversion cylinders for them which shoot 45 Colt cartridges. Just curious. Emery