In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

200grn copper coated swc

wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
can i use the same load of powder with the these like i would a lead swc?

Comments

• 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    for the most part yes

i hope you did not make a big purchase of them before trying them in you gun, you would think they would feed better than lead, but i have witnessed just the opposite several times
  • wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no i havent bought any yet. you say "for the most part yes". so the loads can be the same? its just that you had some feeding problems with them?
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    What brand and diameter are you looking at? I have had to use slightly hotter load on some such as Ranier because of the harder surface and being .4515" in diameter. I have use other copper washed .452" that I do use the same data as .452" hard cast swc.
    edited November -1
    hi perry, was looking at the Ranier myself. and using either clays or titegroup. i have bullseye but it just seems to burn dirty.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have never gotten any Copper Coated bullets to shoot even close to the groups that I get with correct size lead . As far as dirty the matches I shoot need 180 shots and most time all I do is wipe out the bore after 90 rounds plus another 180 or 360 rounds of practice. for total of 500 rounds between cleaning the entire pistol . There is cleaner powder VITAVORIE among others but BULLS-EYE is king for target loads.
    edited November -1
    well once again perry shooter thanks. guess ill load up some bullseye with them. and get me some lead bullets.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I have never gotten any Copper Coated bullets to shoot even close to the groups that I get with correct size lead . As far as dirty the matches I shoot need 180 shots and most time all I do is wipe out the bore after 90 rounds plus another 180 or 360 rounds of practice. for total of 500 rounds between cleaning the entire pistol . There is cleaner powder VITAVORIE among others but BULLS-EYE is king for target loads.

I will second that.
    I tried some copper plated .44 bullets. They were HORRIBLE compared to my Lyman cast bullets.