In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm rem.mag, and7mm 08

Best hunting bullet for reloading, medium to small game?

Comments

• Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    i use a 140gr Nosler Ballestic tip
    for both
  • Options
    bludaoxbludaox Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Combined Technologies (CT) 140 made by Nosler
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I love the 140 gr. Nosler Accubonds for hunting. Plus, the Ballistic tips have the same ogive and are a lot cheaper for use in practice ammo.
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've had good success in every way with hornady 154 grain SSTs
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about Sierra's Blitzking or Gameking?
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will recommend the Hornady Inerbond bullet. Seems to mushroom for me a little easier than the Accubond. I only use Accubond on Large game such as elk. Both good bullets though. I have tested both.
  • Options
    bassassassin007bassassassin007 Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Using a 7mm Rem Mag, I have NEVER shot a deer with Sierra 150 SGK that I didn't recover within 50 yards of where it was hit. I can't say for sure if they are the most accurate bullets out there, but out to 300 yards they are more than accurate enough.

Dave
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I started reloading years ago I used Sierra bullets.As the new bullets(BarnesX,Combined Technologies,Ballistic Tips etc.) came out I used them.All of them were pretty good but nothing great and are way over priced.I went back to using Sierra GameKings that cost about $15.00 a hundred.Use 140 grain Sierras in 7mm,shoot the critter where it needs to be shot and you will never have bullet problems.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    spotty bobek,

Not sure if you are comparing which is easier or less expensive or effective enough as a round. I personally like the 7mm-08 as it has less recoil gets all the velocity you need with a lot less kick to the shoulder. You also don't have that pesky belt. When I reloaded for my 7mm Rem Mag one of the critical inspections is to make sure(if you always full size reload) that you don't get a separation directly in front of the belt. The plus side of the 7mm Rem mag. is that you get that extra velocity with the bigger case size. You will also, in my opinion, get less velocity drop off as you go with heavier bullets. You will also be able to stabilize heavier bullets(to a small degree) from the same twist barrel as a 7mm-08 because they are rotating faster as they leave the barrel. meaning: a 1-12" twist in a 7mm-08 is borderline for stabilizing a 160 gr. bullet. The 7mm Rem mag will stabilize it.

All that being said I preferred 154 gr. Hornady SST'sand SGK 160's in my 7mm Rem and 140's or 120's(SGK and Accubond) in the 7mm-08. For target I like the 168 SMK and the 168 Berger's. I still use the Berger 168's in my 7x57 and 180's in my 7WSM.