In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How clean does the primer pocket need to be?

sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
I've been tumbling my brass with walnut, but it doesnt get the pockets clean at all. So I have that little tool that you use to clean it out. This seems like too much work, does it matter if its black in there as long as its smooth?

thanks,
shane

sig.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what you are reloading your ammo for. If it is Match Ammo I trim to length, flash hole ream to remove the burrs, and uniform the primer pocket, and inside and outside champher the case necks. I also ream the neck to uniform it. That all on the first time I load the brass. After that I check the case for length(usually does not need to be trimmed again for several reloads) and the clean the primer pocket with the uniformer tool chucked into a battery powered screwdriver, which is what I use to make the job easier on about all of the above operations. Then I weigh the brass and sort according to weight. If its hunting ammo I still do the above operations although I will be the first to admit that in hunting loads it is no of real advantage, unless you are shooting at very long ranges or small critters. My two cents anyway. Reloading is a hobby for me and I take great pride in the loads that I produce.
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorta * when it comes to assuring my reloads go bang.

All new brass (or, once-fired commercial)gets the primer pocket reamed with a Lyman tool that is factory set for depth and diameter. The flashhole is reamed with one of their flashhole tools after all cases are full length resized, trimmed to minimum, chamfered in and out.

From then on, the primer pocket gets hit with either the RCBS primer pocket brush or the same Lyman pocket tool. The fired carbon/ash doesn't have to be scraped absolutely clean from the pocket, but should be removed enough to allow proper seating of the new primer without undue crushing.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a mind thing more than a function thing. For match shooting anything you can do that gives you pease of mind is a good thing. As long as the new primer is seated properly the anvil will be in full contact with the priming pellet,as it should be. most of the residue won't even touch the primer since the anvil only has 3 legs.
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    As a somewhat newbie reloader I might be stating the obvious, but I've heard that its best to leave the used primers in until after tumbling. Any thoughts??

Bueller?

Bueller?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tumbling media does get caught in the empty primer pocket,..this can often happen on the inside and not be visable from the outside unless you are very carefull in your inspection. A dentists pick can help remove this,..but leaving the primers in while running the tumbler is my method. however, I only tumble every 4-6 firings.

get a primer pocket uniformer and the drill attachment. That allows you to uniform the pockets, clean them, etc all in a few seconds. I always have a mirror shiny primer pocket before I load the case.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 20 years of reloading, I have never once cleaned a primer pocket and have never had any problems with priming.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
    stooges.jpg
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have never cleaned a primer pocket on any ammo that I loaded on my progressive press.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every rifle or handgun primer pocket I reload is cleaned. I use a drill press with a primer pocket brush if I am doing many and a hand tool for a few. I visually check every flash hole for obstruction. I must be very old fashioned as I only use single stage reloading presses. I have owned Dillons in the past and find them to be fine pieces of equipment; however, I like the hands on aspect of the single stage presses.
  • Options
    D.K.D.K. Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with you, Ron. My reason for reloading isn't financial.
    I like having custom cartridges. Rounds made just like I want them.
    Speed isn't a must either....but quality is. I want them as good
    as possible, and the only way my mind is satisfied is to be *!