In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Micrometer bullet seating dies

easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, I plan to purchase in several calibers (.308 and .223 at least). Which is your personal preference and why?

Or if you have experience with just one what do you like or dislike about it?

Forster, Redding, RCBS, I think Sinclair$ has one.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    forester and Redding competition dies. The sliding sleeve holds the case body and makes for much straighter seating. The RCBS competition dies make great rounds as well, but the Reddings utilize the various bushings for neck tension.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do the Reddings and Forester use the same set-up in neck bushings? You seem to prefer the Reddings.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't beleive the forster uses the bushings. The redding having bushings makes for a nice agreeable neck tension. Once the brass starts to harden a bit and not spring back,..you can go down .001" in bushing size and regain that nk tension without having to anneal the case.

There is a company in "precision shooting" that sells threaded die blanks that are bushing dies,..and your gunsmith cuts the body with the same reamer he used in the chamber.

I also like the Wilson dies very much,..but you have to buy a whole new press to use them. They are probably one of the straightest seating dies I have ever seen though.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Redding Comp dies for my 308 and they put out very good ammo. Like JustC mentioned you can just neck size with the various bushings and also get each round pretty consistant with the micrometer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great! That is what I needed. I won't use a Wilson die if they don't mount up to a standard press...unless I was a serious competitor.

"They're in front of us,
    they're behind us,
    they're to our left and to our right...
    they can't get away now."

Chesty Puller,
    Chosin Reservoir, Korea

SEMPER FI
  • Options
    edited November -1
    this is an arbor press for in-line dies. This was made by Ken Markell of K&M and as well machined as it is,.still only runs around $90,..but I will agree this is a pure competition undertaking and not necessary for anything but match guns.

100_0219.jpg

Got Balistics?