In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wax "Cookies" anyone have a better way?

I've reloaded a few BP cartridges, and one of the recommendations that was made to me by my reloading mentor was to make bee'swax cookies. It lubes behind each round fired an cuts down on fouling.
The process is pretty simple, heat up a 1-1 1/2 lb brick of Beeswax (Natural health food stores, beekeepers, ect I do not advise using paraffin wax..) take a small cookie sheet (8X11) and pour wax until you have about a 1/4" thickness. Take a cartridge of the caliber you are reloading and hacksaw off the base. (Either that or get a section of straight walled pipe and use it as a punch.) an 8X11 cookie sheet should yield plenty of the "cookies". IIRC something like 350 45-70

when reloading, charge the cartridge as usual, place a "cookie" in after the powder, before the bullet, and continue as usual.

FTBennITCMOURN.jpg

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Handgun Control, Inc. says they want to "Keep guns out of the wrong hands."
Guess what?
You have the wrong hands.

Comments

• deputydondeputydon Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Matt - will this contaminate the powder if they get too warm ? -Don

blonds.bmpWhen they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    Parsons.gif
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the ones that come with the bullets, their lubed and ready to go. Are we talking about the same thing here, I've only been shooting BP for about 2 years and not that often.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deputydon
    Matt - will this contaminate the powder if they get too warm ? -Don

If you're letting your cartridges get up over 100 degrees or so, you might have a problems, but I asked that questionfrom the fellow that gave me the information, and said he never had a problem....

Of course the correct answer is, "I don't recall what the temp. was that natural beeswax becomes semi-liquid, but, I can ask around..."

CHGOTHNDR- I'm talking loading BP cartidges, not ML's....?

FTBennITCMOURN.jpg

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
    Handgun Control, Inc. says they want to "Keep guns out of the wrong hands."
    Guess what?
    You have the wrong hands.