In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

USMC Thousand Inch Range

givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
Greetings: givette here. When I was issued an M14 sometimes we'd go to the "thousand inch" range for proficiency. My question is, what was the benefit of shooting at targets one thousand inches downrange from the firing line? What I mean is, I know the obvious answer relates to less space needed to set-up a range, but why 1,000 inches? Why not 850? Or 1,250? I'm sure it's a ballistics reason. Would any of you tack-drivers care to comment?
Equipment: USGI std. issue M14. Ammunition: Ball (standard 1960's issue type). Best, Joe
PS..is the 1k inch range also good for the M1 w/std. issue 30-06 mil. ball? Tks. J.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I was in the army at this same time IMHO the 1000 inch range was used to Give the Recruit confidence in both the rifle and in yourself as the shooter [:p].Seeing those very small groups[:D]. Plus for the most part you could see the bullet holes with your bare eye no need for spotting scope[:0]. Think about it .the recruit never had a chance to really ZERO his rifle and any long range at least I did not as we never had spotting scopes and the guys in the pitts just gave the sign of hit or miss no spotter on the target so we could make corrections[:(] Most of the rifles in basic were shot out and 1000 inches was supposed to equal battle sight 100 yards.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Tks, PerryS. Battle sight for 100 yds. Good to know. I have a SA NM M14 clone (80's vintage) and figured it was time to do some sighting-in. Best, Joe