In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Developing a load

SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm trying to develop the best loads for my rifles. Just got started on it tonight. This week I ordered 9 pounds of different rifle powders to find the best loads for my guns.

Im taking each powder that I found data for each particular caliber and making a load. I'm taking the starting load and working up to the max load with 1.5 grain intervals (On 30-06 - Only caliber I've done so far. Smaller intervals on smaller calibers with less range of grains.) Is this too much of a gap for the '06; should I be doing it in smaller intervals? Will probably use 1 gr intervals for .308; and .5 gr for .243 and .30-30.

I'm filling four cases at each interval and I'm going to shoot a 4 shot group. Whichever load groups best is what I use for that particular powder. I'll do this for each powder and then compare the best for each powder with all of the others. The best overall group will be the powder/grains that I use for that caliber.

Does this seem like a good way to find that "sweet load"? I'm open to ALL suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have the right idea, however I would use 1 gr increments with the 30-06 along with the others. This way you can look for signs of excess pressure.

In addition to changing powder levels I would also try some different bullets. Some guns favor certain bullet and powder combinations to get optimal accuracy.

Most important is not to exceed published load data. Usually the most accurate loads are less than max speeds.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use .3gr increments in the case capacity of the 06'. Start midmrange and work up from there, you will find a good load below max.
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually start about 3.5 grains lower than the max. Then work up .5 grains until i start to see a slight flattening of the primer. Then i will back off .2 grains until that slight flattening of the primer is gone.

If i find a good group sooner than flattening the primer. Then i will load .2 grains more until my groups grow larger or i start to flatten primers again. Then back off to where i found that tight group. By working that .2 grains i seem to get the most out of a cartridge.

Many people say that flattening a primer is ok...Not for me. Im a chicken. Plus, if i find a good load with out that pressure sign, atleast im shooting straight.
  • Options
    gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
    edited November -1
    Your approach sounds fine but like the others mention your best load in rarely at max. Keep in mind that 5% less powder gives 10% less pressure and only 3% less velocity.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Something else you can try if you find a bullet and powder combo that you like and is grouping relatively well. Once you find that, you can start moving the bullet forward in the case. I have done this and can usually shrink my groups by .3-.6 inches just by varing how close the bullet is to the lands prior to firing. Be careful not to move the bullet too far forward (i.e. actully touching the lands) because it will cause a heck of a pressure spike.
  • Options
    bassassassin007bassassassin007 Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I first started loading I bought a few different powders and a few different bullets in only two calibers which were for a total of four guns. It didn't take long that I realized I had bitten off more than I could chew. I had way too many bullet/powder/brass and primer combinations.

My method quickly became using the same brass, 1 powder type, 1 primer type, and the same bullet for each gun I was loading and then eventualy varying the bullets. Starting at the minimum loads I would make three rounds then increase my loads in increments of 1/2 grain up to the max. After doing this I would look at the group size of each. Usually groups would pattern from larger to smaller then to larger again somewhere in the range of the bullets I made. Once I had the best group I would make new loads from 5 grains less than the best group to 5 grains after, incrementing in .1 grains. This gave me the best load with that powder and bullet. I then can adjust my seating depth into the lands to tweak the load.

If this gives you the accuracy you want you are done. If not, change powder or bullets and start over. Watch your pressure signs and remember consistency is the key.

Dave
  • Options
    veemaxveemax Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I envie all of you, because you do not have to suffer under the restrictions I have to do my reloading here in the Netherlands!!
    When I develop a new load I use the very good Quick-load programm I bought some time agoo, which caluculates pressure and speed in a given caliber with a given load and components.
    A very important thing for me is the % of filling of the cartridge, wich up to me is ideally around 95%.
    I mostly do end by some Vhitavuori powder, N120 for .222, N140 for .308 and N160 for 30-06.
    I start with a load that fills the round for 90%, which is far below max. pressure, and the sweet spot I generally get somewhere by 94-95%.
    I work myself up to this in 0.2 grain steps and it works fine for me.
    My starting loads have an overall length of 1 mm short of the lands of the barrel and generally do not need to be adjusted.
    Regards,
    Paul Tummers.