In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Holder for Lee Hand Prime

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
I started loading about 40 years ago with some Lee Loaders and a mallet. Now-a-days, while I'm not at the top of the tool heap, my press set-up works for me. I was given a Lee Hand Primer about 5+ years ago, but had not tried it until last weekend.

The tub of de-capped, sized, and cleaned 44 Mag cases was over the 500 case line, so I decided to start on them. I pulled the Lee hand-prime box off the back of the shelf, took the shell holder off the press, grabbed the tub of empties and 3 packs of primers. Then (you already know) Dang, this shell holder doesn't fit. Of course I fiddle, turn, twist, dis-assemble, assemble, etc. but no - go.

I've only got 5 holders for my press, but they fit what I load so I'm happy.

WHAT IS the best thing for me to do with this gadget ?
What kind or number of holders will fit this gizmo.

I know I'm behind the times, but any and all replies would be appreciated.

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The Lee hand primer uses a seperate shell holder from a press. Just a flat disc, not the stepped knurled affair that a press uses. You will have to order them seperately.

They are well worth it. For single stage reloading I can load (and I timed it) primers 7X faster with the hand primer over a bench mounted system, one at a time. If you have a feeder for the bench system it would be faster but still not as fast, due to the long stroke and only being able to manipulate one component at a time, i.e. in that the press is bolted down and you can only move the brass.

Yup, hand primer is the fastest way to go and usually does a better job. I have yet to crunch a primer in sideways, upside down, or whatnot with it.

Of course, a progressive press is another matter entirely. [:)]
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee autoprime is the one of the best hand primers out there. It is far and above the RCBS (which huts me to say). You can get the whole set (I wish I would have done this as it would have been cheaper in the long run)or individual shell holders depending on how many you need. They are well worth it. They have a great "feel" and so seating primers to the proper depth is easy. I have pretty much worn one out. You can get the shell holders from Midway, Grafs and many other places.
  • PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have managed to occasionally insert a primer upside down with the Lee. I now inspect every primed case.
    Pete