In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reloading .45 lc

wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
im reloading a 200grn lrnfp. using clays powder. lee reloading book. it says the min. oal is 1.600. im at 1.603 now on the first one and the top groove is showing (not the lube groove). is that ok that it does show? and what would be the max oal?

Comments

• wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i guess what i should be asking is, what would be the max oal for this one if 1.600 is the min?
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    The only thing that would limit the length is the end of the cylinder. I have made ammo to use 38 Spl brass in a 357 magnum where I actual crimp in the lube groove. You will need to try different lenghts to determine what gives you the best accuracy. The farther out you seat the bullet will mean using more powder to get the same pressure and velocity.
    edited November -1
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just crimp it in the canelure (crimp groove) and forget about it. In a revolver the only thing you want to make sure of is that the bullet doesn't stick out past the front of the cylinder and there's very few if any times you'll ever have to worry about that when crimping a bullet where it was meant to be crimped.

Smitty
    edited November -1
    the canelure (for lead)is the part of the bullet that has the groove with like maybe the green or red coating area?
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wcoxy2003
    the canelure (for lead)is the part of the bullet that has the groove with like maybe the green or red coating area?

Nope, you don't crimp in the lube groove. You crime in the top one that doesn't have any lube in it.

Happy loading and be safe,[:)]

Smitty
    edited November -1
    thanks Smitty, i`ll do the best i can about being safe lol. its guys like you that help me learn more about reloading and help keep me sound and safe. and when im done with that one....i`ll be back for more. thanks again