In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Magnum Primers

SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have 2000 magnum primers and nothing to use them in, unless I can use them in place of regular primers. I was wondering can they be used for some light 45acp loads. Thanks

Comments

• SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When is it appropriate to switch from standard primers to magnum primers? I can see a need when using large amounts of powder in large cases(375 h&h) but what about smaller cases (22-250)? Has any one come up with a hard and fast rule. Most reloading manuals seem a little vague.[?]
    edited November -1
    Can I safely use magnum primers instead of standard Small Pistol in 38/357 loads without changing bullet/powder combo? Great deal on them at Wally World if I can. Plinking loads so I'm not worried about accuracy too much. Want to be able to hit what I shoot at though.[:)]
  • PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to work up new loads when you change any component.
    Pete
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    +1 on PJ if you are near MAX with standard primers you will be over max with magnum primers.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my experience in pistol rounds going to a mag primer is about equal to .5 grain of powder. If you are shooting mild plinking loads there will be no problem.

It is when you are in the upper level of the book loads that substituting a mag for reg primer can be a problem.

If the price is right buy them all.... They are going to continue to skyrocket in price. Plinking with a cheap mag primer is better than going broke plinking with a standard primer in my book.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you didn't know the answer to this fundemental reloading question I strongly suggest you get a reloading manual and read it cover to cover - twice! Never take the word of strangers on the internet in matters of safety! Double check all opinions with the "books"
    edited November -1
    My manual shows charges from 3.6 - 4.0

I stay around 3.7 - 3.8 with standard primers. I believe I'll pick them up and load 3.4 gr or so and see what happens.