In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

10MM Hunters

BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
I am looking to see what bullets people that hunt with the 10MM are using both for 1911 styles and revolvers. Brand type and weight please. I am looking to load up some for black tail hunting. Thanks.

Comments

• Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Brian, I have heard great things about 180gr Hornady XTP's pushed out at 1250 fps, they would work wonders on the little black tails you have up by your place.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks MK19. I was thinking about XTP's or Nosler. By the way Nosler is out of Bend, OR. less than two hours away. Another reason for moving eh????
    edited November -1
    OK Brian, quit rubbing it in[:o)] I wonder if they need sales people[:p]

I know I don't have to tell you this, but it might be best if you bought a 100 from each Nosler and Hornady, maybe a pack of 180's and 200's just to see what the gun likes best. What are you shooting them out of?
    edited November -1
    I have a 5" S&W 610 and I am building a Para Ordnance P16 with a 10mm barrel to go along with the .40 barrel. I will end up running test loads for both as they may not like the same thing. I may not hunt with them but that just isn't the point. I have always wanted to hunt with a 10mm.
    edited November -1
    How do you like your 610? Does it have the typical S&W smoothness and trigger? I've been thinking about picking one up.

I understand what you mean about just putting it together just in case you want to do it, I'm the same way.
    edited November -1
    I am a big S&W fan. I really like my 610. It is a 5" hunter (smooth cylinder) model and was set up for IPSC so the trigger is really smooth. I actually had to rework it a little after I got it to make sure it is 100% reliable. The previous owner had lots of money and had a bunch of work done on it. It started life as a 6" hunter but he really wanted a 5" so he had it cut and recrowned and then the following year S&W offered the 5" hunter. S&W has quit making the 610 so if you want one you might want to get it as soon as you can. The 610 was my first moon clip S&W and I like it so much I have a 627PC and a 625 both with 5" barrels.
    edited November -1
    Very nice, I'll have to shoot i when I come up there[;)] I'll pick one up some day, they'll always be selling here on GB, just not as nice as yours.
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    S&W 610 6.5"
    200 gr XTP at 1260 fps
    edited November -1
    Thanks Richbug.
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Problem with the Noslers, last I checked they only make a 135 and 150 grain hollow point in 10mm.

You can make some crazy velocities with these, but they aren't suited for big game.

The 135 in particular will require serious sight adjustments(but you can drive them really really fast). My last load shot 8" low at 50 feet, 20" low at 50 yards, as compared to my 155 gr xtp "light target(1350 fps)" load.
    edited November -1
    I was just looking at bullets last night and saw that Nosler didn't have 180g. I guess XTP's are the way to go. I am surprised at the lack of options. Thanks for the suggestions guys.