In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9x23 Shooters?

BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
Anyone loading for and shooting the 9x23? I am trying to find loading data for Hodgdon HS6. Almost all of the data I can find is with Vhitavouri (SP?) powder and it is almost impossible to get around here. I shoot a Kimber custom 9x23 with a 6" compensated barrel. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BHAVIN,

Here is some information that can be used for the transition into the 9x23:

http://www.9mmlargo.com/cartridge/loads.htm

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks nononsense. I have a starting point now.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    38 super data is also a good starting point for 9 x 23 Win. By my accounting there are five 9 x 23 cartridges. 38 ACP, 38 super, 9mm Steyr, 9mm Largo (Bergmann-Bayard) and 9 x 23 Win. The chambers for all are nearly identical.

Brass is more variable than the chambers. 38 ACP and Super have a rim that is larger in diameter than the case head. 9 x 23 Win has thicker walls at the head so has lowest capacity. Boxer primed 9mm Steyr and Largo are only available from Starline. 9 x 23 Win can only be safely loaded to Max. with small rifle primers.

Most manuals have 38 super data but recognise that it will produce higher pressures in 9 x 23 win brass but of course a 9 x 23 win gun and take higher pressures.

Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Tim. I was originally going to start out with 38 Super and now I am going to use both the 38 Super and the Largo data. This is the hardest caliber to find load data for that I have dealt with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bhavin

Did you see the note to use small rifle primers?

Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yup I sure did. That thank goodness was one of the first things I discovered. The only data that I was able to find in the past was for W231 so I have loaded some of those but I am wanting cleaner and hotter now. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep; W231 is not the best but it works. I have loaded 6.8 gr. of W231 in Starline 9mm Largo cases with 115 grain FMJ and Gold Dots for velocity in the mid to high 1300's out of a converted CZ 52 and all was well with small pistol primers. All the usual disclaimers, my gun, my loading technique, my lot of powder, fully supported chamber, 18 pound recoil spring, do not try this in your home. One last but important factor, the CZ 52 magazines will allow a greater than spec cartridge overall length and my gun is chambered to accomodate the extra long ammo it is really like having a 9 x 25 instead of a 9 x 23. That combined with the greater case capacity of the 9mm Largo brass compared to the 9 x 23 Win brass lets me use a larger powder charge without 9 x 23 Win pressures. This is also not some cold day fluke, I tested yesterday with highs in the mid 80's and the guns and ammo hotter than ambient due to exposure to the sun, no shade. It is going to be a long hot summer.

Tim
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using Blue Dot in all of my .38 Super loads for the last 20 years. There are probably better powders today, but then again, why mess with success!!