In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Break any decapping pins?

Is this something that happens often? Should I be keeping some around? Is it alignment that causes it? Or do they just plain break?

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I keep spares. I have bent several over the years. Sometimes you can get a bit of rock down in a case or you decaping rod can get loose. Either can cause you to bend or break a pin.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happens alot with Mil surp cases. Come in bags of 5, cheap, good idea to have spares of each size.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Berdan cases bust them real fast. Keep a few spares for good luck.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Fella who gave me most of my original reloading equipment threw in about a dozen. I've had to replace them three times in the last five years.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    On RCBS yes. On Lee, which I use mainly, never. Lee pins don't break, they rise up in their collet. Very smart.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    This was a Lee and it basically shattered-I think a Berdan primed case snuck into the batch. I will be keeping at least two of each caliber handy.
  • awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Paul, when my Lee pin broke, they replaced it free.
    Only cost the stamp on the letter.[:)]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Paul,

Ditto on Lee's replacement policy; I never broke a decapping pin but I have broken other parts on their stuff and they were always very good about it. In the future, try loosening the retaining collet a tad and it should prevent this problem; you want it tight enough to decap, but loose enough so that if a berdan shell sneaks in, it moves, not breaks.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I am sure Lee will replace it for free, but in the mean time I want replacements around, since I bet they won't overnight me a freebie.