In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

whats with F/L dies

Ive been reloading for a while now and when i shoot my rifled rounds (270.) ive been told to get F/L dies for improved patterns. Is this true, or explain why its better?

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you'll hear varying opinions on FL vs NK sizing. For field use, where absolute feeding and chambering is a must, FL is the best choice. I have seen better accuracy from Partial Full Length sizing and neck sizing but some rifles will work great with FL sizing. I prefer NK sizing as most of my work is done by single feeding by hand from the bench or rest, but reliability in the hunting field makes FL sizing or PFL sizing your best bet.
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With my 300 Win mag FL sizing seems to work better than neck sizing. If i dont FL size the case its alot harder to chamber a round. Accuracy is great also. With another rifle of mine it prefers NK sizing with great accuracy and chambering. One thing to keep in mind is that if a guy FL sizes his cases they usually will have alot shorter case life. The less you work the brass the longer the case life. I like to neck size because the round will chamber more consistently hence producing better accuracy. Every gun is different. Do some tests and see what happens. Good Luck!
  • Options
    bk_punisherbk_punisher Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    that makes so much sense. thaks that helps alot. I guess the next thing for me to do is try both.