In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FMJ' and steel?

Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
Ok...here's the story, today me, my friend, and his dad were shooting some steel targets (15-30+ feet). I was using 115 WWB FMJ ammo (9mm) and I started shooting, when I got done my friends arm was bleeding and he said it felt like someone hit him in the arm with a stick.

Just now he called me up and said that he has a 2X6mm peice of jacket in his arm (he got an X-ray), it's down to the bone...anyways did we just get unlucky or was it because of the FMJ ammo or were we too close or what?

I feel bad, I know we couldn't help it but it still sucks...anyways he wants to go shooting tommorow too, did this ever happen to any of you guys?
PS: I posted this in the reloading forum and the Ask the Experts

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    You were Too Close The N.R.A. warns never to shoot jacketed Ammo at steel targets at less then 25 yards that is why the cowboy matches insist on lead loads only. Jacketed or even jacketed hollow point bullets can cause a demple to form in the metal target and the bullet can come back at you with enough force to kill you. At target ranges the backstop is at a 45 degree angle to deflect the bullets but yours was most likely at 90 degrees. You were VERY LUCKY
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    here are the regulations for steel, if you scroll down to the zip file it will give you every stage shot for steel challenge, they range from 7-35 yrds, but as perry stated at an angle

http://rhebert.nightowl.net/Steel.htm
  • franksremotefranksremote Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happens all the time.