In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barnes Varmint Grenade...

Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
Anybody tried these in .223 yet? Looking for some load data..
Retired LEO
Combat Vet VN
D.A.V Life Member

Comments

• Options
    veemaxveemax Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grunt2
    Anybody tried these in .223 yet? Looking for some load data..

Which Barnes bullet do you mean exactly?
    The 3X I load in .222Rem you hardly can call a grenade.
    Regards,
    Paul Tummers.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded XXX's IN 22-250 & 243, AND THE X HP IN 257 WYB MAG. Good Bullets but it'S a varmit, hit it wiTH almost anything and it will POP!!
    Hard on pelts/hides/skins too, there are better cheaper bullets ava. that will serve the same purpose POP'IN varmits.

If your into selling the hides a good spire point in just about any small cal. willdo the job and leave a little more money in your wallet too..

FOR MAYBE I DON'T KNOW....BEER.....WHISKY....WHAT EVER SUITS YOUR FANCEY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They are making a bullet called the "Varmint Grenade" in 22 and 243! The .224 is a 36gr HP ( has a 50gr profile) with an alloy core..
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    veemaxveemax Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are making a bullet called the "Varmint Grenade" in 22 and 243! The .224 is a 36gr HP ( has a 50gr profile) with an alloy core..

I always use the 50gr Hornady V-max in my .222Rem. from the very beginning these bullets were available on the European market, and I do'nt know wether it is possible to surpass the outstanding longe range accuracy and exploding character of this bullet.
    Up to me the V-max is the very best money can buy.
    Regards,
    Paul Tummers.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the first I have heard of them. I use Calhoun Double Hollow Points in 22 cal in 50g and 52g. They are a Zinc coated hollow point with a soft lead core and they explode well. They are not as accurate as ballistic tips. I am interested to hear how these new Barnes bullets work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just got my order (4 boxes)of Barnes Varmint Grenades...!! The 36gr HP does have a 50gr flat base profile. Looking forward to trying them out. I guess (due to the lack of loading data) I'll start with H-4198 and R-7 due to the weight of the bullet. I'm thinking Vht-130 might be better suited for the 223 and 20" barrel..But for the record...The 50gr V-Max has been my std. fodder for years..There are several p-dog towns in the area that have housing developments closing in on them and thought this bullet may be a bit safer providing the testing pans out..A friend is going to try them out in 22-250. We'll keep you posted..
    Anyone interested can go to the following Barnes link...http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/new-products/new-varmint-grenade/

quote:Originally posted by veemax

I always use the 50gr Hornady V-max in my .222Rem. from the very beginning these bullets were available on the European market, and I do'nt know wether it is possible to surpass the outstanding longe range accuracy and exploding character of this bullet.
    Up to me the V-max is the very best money can buy.
    Regards,
    Paul Tummers.
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member