In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

257 Roberts M77 Ultralight

wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
Below are the results of my experience shooting this new rifle. Just wondering if any of you have had experience reloading for one like it and if so, what seemed to work for you?

I have tried 4 different factory loads -- Winchester 117 gr, Remington 117 gr, Hornady 117 gr and Remington Extended Range 122 gr. Three of these produce 3-4" 100 yd groups. The Rem Ext Range 122 gr load shot 1" groups. However, I only had about 1/2 of a box of them and I do not believe that they are currently available. Thus, I am going to load for it. However, I am looking for a starting place without having to try every powder & bullet combo. I am not particular about whether I use 100 gr, 115 gr, 117 gr or 120 gr bullets. I would like to develop a load that will shoot 1" - 1 1/2" groups. They do not need to be super fast, I would rather have accuracy. This rifle is being developed for use by an old uncle (76 yrs) to hunt deer this fall.

I am not convinced that I may not have a bedding problem with this rifle. I have done a little work on the stock but plan to glass it & see if that helps. The other possiblity that I have considered is that the very thin barrel on this rifle is just particular --- very particular. I would welcome your thoughts.

Thanks

Comments

• OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not have this particular rifle or cal, but i have had a similar experince with the bedding, and the thin barrel. on a 257 wyb mag.

I think I tried every bullet powder combo and had similar results as you did. 3-4 inch grps. nothing seemed to work well. I beded the rifle and made sure the stock was not pushing on the barrel. now it is FREE FLOAT.

I finally setteled on the 117gr bullet and light loads seemed to get the group sizes down. You may want to get a factory crimp die. this changed everything. Now I am getting, consistant 1"-1 1/2" grps. i am sure that if i wanted to tweek the charge a little more i could get better grps but as you, the rifle is for hunting and 1" grps out of most general hunting rifles is GOOD ENUF.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have this exact rifle and I have a bunch of loads worked up for it. E-mail me if you want them.

For my best loads I use 40.4 gr.(38.0 to start) of H4895 in a +p case behind an 87 or a 90 gr. bullet. That is either for varmint or deer. I also use 40.4 gr. of VV140 behind a nosler 110 gr. accubond. The best group on that one was .458(three shot) I found that with my rifle it really loves the 100 gr. bullets. The twist is made to handle 120's but I never usually get much better than sub-MOA if that. Plenty of accuracy for hunting, just no hope of this rifle ever producing a one hole group.

Something to avoid with this rifle because of the short barrel is using slower powders. You will get muzzle blast like no yesterday.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger Ultralight, but it is chambered in .308. I agree with sandwarrior on avoiding the slower burning powders. My rifle seems to like a combination of faster burning powders and heavier bullets for some reason. I have shot many handloads and factory ammo and I recently picked up a box of Federal 180 gr. softpoints because they were on sale. I shot the best groups I have ever shot with this gun with them. Basically, what I am trying to say is don't be afraid to try anything, cause certain guns like certain loads. I hope this helps some and enjoy your new gun.

Jon
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your thoughts.