In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder dispenser & Scale combo - Which is Best

03lover03lover Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
I goofed. I ordered a Pact Powder Dispenser & Scale Combo. It arrived with the box showing damage. When opened the dispenser and scale looked alright, maybe the thick padding had done its job.

I set the scale up and calibrated it. It weighed the 20.0gram weight right on the money. I used some Lyman scale weight check weights and with all of them the scale weighed 0.2 to 0.4 tenths of a grain light. I checked those weights with two balance beam scales and they were all right on. Also whenever my hand was within one to two inches of the scale, the 0.00 started to change up and down with numbers. Another piece of Pact junk. I returned the Pact for a refund.

Have any of you had experience with the Lyman, RCBS or other digital powder dispenser Scale combo units, either favorable or not so good. I need to decide what to buy and your experience will be helpful.

Comments

  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that the RCBS 1500 combo is great. By the way PACT makes RCBS electronic scales.
  • Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Lyman 1200 DPS, and love it. It has thrown charges from 5 to 70 grains
    and is accurate to within 0.1 grains.
    The only thing I don't like is the 30 minute warmup.
    So, I plan ahead and start the warmup before I size and prime cases.
  • Options
    03lover03lover Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    I think that the RCBS 1500 combo is great. By the way PACT makes RCBS electronic scales.

    I didn't know the RCBS scale was made by Pact. I have a couple of bad reports on Pact scales. Does the RCBS require a warm up period before using it? I assume this warm up noted for the Lyman, is for the scale to stabilize.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you look at the reports in the benchrest forums you will find the RCBS 1500 Combo is the highest rated.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    All of the current crop are overpriced, inaccurate, and slow.

    You can throw charges manually, trickle the last kernels (if using anything but ball powders), and still be more accurate AND faster than any of the electronic combos available.
  • Options
    steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    All of the current crop are overpriced, inaccurate, and slow.






    I would have to disagree with you on this one. I have a Lyman 1200. I have had it for over 2 years and have loaded thousands of rounds with it. It is very accurate and relatively fast. After I dump a charge I check it on my RCBS balance beam for accuracy. Right on 99.9% of the time. If the charge is off I recalibrate it and I am good to go. As for speed, I think it is fine. After I charge a piece of brass I put the powder pan back on the Lyman and start the dump, in the mean time I am seating a bullet and marking the load with a Sharpie. When I am done seating and marking the Lyman is done dumping and I repeat the process. Makes quick work of working up a load.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve4102
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    All of the current crop are overpriced, inaccurate, and slow.






    I would have to disagree with you on this one. I have a Lyman 1200. I have had it for over 2 years and have loaded thousands of rounds with it. It is very accurate and relatively fast. After I dump a charge I check it on my RCBS balance beam for accuracy. Right on 99.9% of the time. If the charge is off I recalibrate it and I am good to go. As for speed, I think it is fine. After I charge a piece of brass I put the powder pan back on the Lyman and start the dump, in the mean time I am seating a bullet and marking the load with a Sharpie. When I am done seating and marking the Lyman is done dumping and I repeat the process. Makes quick work of working up a load.


    The Lyman is slower than the RCBS. Is yours the DPS II model? Fun to clean.

    Are you checking it for accuracy on every throw? If so, why?

    I hope your scale and press are on seperate benches.
  • Options
    steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco


    The Lyman is slower than the RCBS. Is yours the DPS II model? Fun to clean.

    Are you checking it for accuracy on every throw? If so, why?

    I hope your scale and press are on separate benches.


    Yes it is a DPS II. I have no problems cleaning and switching powders, takes but a minute or two. I check for accuracy on every through. Why, because I have read so many bad reports about dispensers and digital scales in general I just feel better about it.
    My press is on the bench in front of me and my Lyman is off to my right on a separate shelf. I also make sure I do not have my cell phone near by and my air-conditioner is turned off or way down.
    When I purchased the Lyman it was on sale and almost $100 cheaper then the RCBS. When this one goes to hell I will replace it with the faster RCBS.

    It is also very easy to speed these things up if you are loading really big cases. While it is dumping or before you place the pan on the scale just take a Lee scoop about 10gr less than your desired charge and hit enter. I also calibrate zero with my RCBS powder pan so checking for accuracy with the balance beam is a piece of cake.
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by awinds
    I have a Lyman 1200 DPS, and love it. It has thrown charges from 5 to 70 grains
    and is accurate to within 0.1 grains.
    The only thing I don't like is the 30 minute warmup.
    So, I plan ahead and start the warmup before I size and prime cases.



    I have to agree. The Lyman has worked very well for me. I do not mind the 30 minute warm up time, I just do other things while this is in process.
    In addition, I do not have any problem having the Lyman on the same bench as the press. In fact it is on the same bench as four presses. and works just fine.
Sign In or Register to comment.