In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need advice - Thinking about getting into reloadin

meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone have some suggestions on a good book for a beginner to read before he takes the plunge into reloading?

I've always been interested in it, no more so since I've acquired a K-31 and an Enfield.

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Get the Lyman Reloading Handbook. it will answer all of your questions and give you a wide list of reloading data including lead bullet loading which I what I use the most in my Enfield and Swiss 7.5.
  • Options
    franksremotefranksremote Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ABCs of Reloading
  • Options
    gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
    edited November -1
    Modern Reloading by Richard Lee
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of the references are Good, but regardless of which you use first, read it twice (at least). Every step is important to a good load.

Reloading has done more to improve my bullseyes than breaking bad habits. I've used the same press for almost 30 years. The same press is still sold today, along with MANY others.

I know you need to load for the rifles mentioned, but if you can, load straight wall (pistol) cases first. After you have read your manual twice, you will know why.

Take care when you load, don't 'multi-task'. Don't get in a hurry. Document your work. Keep your brass in 'lots' so you know it's history.

Don't get on the progressive press bandwagon. A mistake for startups with enough cash. I don't own a progressive press, but a friend does. He still uses his 'single stage' press 75% of the TIME.

In developing a load, a single stage press is the machine to use. Once you find that 'sweet load' that your gun likes, you can use a progressive loader to spit out 500 rounds for you. In that operation, they are golden machines. Fortunately, since he has one, I don't need one.[:D]

See tombiasi's post here. Excellent stuff there.

ENJOY !!
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    meunke,

I personally prefer Sierra or Hornady. While their books are oriented to their bullets they both give a lot of great information. I know you know, but just to remind you, read all the steps. If you can have someone along with you when you start who has done it before. It always helps when a step is shown that may look complicated by explaining it on paper.
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact the NRA and an NRA Certified Reloading Instructor, to get the NRA's Reloading Course Manual.
  • Options
    SteveWagSteveWag Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with "gotstolefrom", start with a single stage press. I would suggest an RCBS Master Kit, but don't pay more than $275, the wholesale price today is $232.82. Lyman and Lee presses are OK if you know the ones to buy. Dillon and Hornady are very good but no better. There is a reloading book in the RCBS kit. You can check out my site:

http://www.gswagner.com/bigreloading/reloadingindex.html

Then, check out the things not included in the standard books;

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/reloading/reloading1.html

Good Luck

Steve Wagner