In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

considering....

i'm thinking of doing my own loads. i have 7.62x54r and 9x18 to consider. what would i need to get started equipment wise and info?

Comments

• Options
    bk_punisherbk_punisher Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi
    For me when i started. the best thing to do is tons of reading and if you know somebody that reloads ask all that you can.
    get a book or two, even three as many as you can. i still use my books to this day. ABC's of reloading, lyman's got a couple of books.there all over the place.
    for press i started with lee single stage press, and its still going. Good Luck
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I won't get into it all, but will say, start with a single stage press. I like the Lee Classic Cast, but if you are a weekend warrior- and reloader- the Lee O frame Anniversery press is fine and cheaper too. That, dies, a priming tool, primers, case lube, cases, chamfer tool, some form of powder dispensing, powder, bullets, and a reloading manual would be the main things; consider buying one of Lee's kits....
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a reloading manual and read it from cover to cover.
  • Options
    aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to do it as a hobby great. If you are going to do it for those two calibers to save money it is not going to work out to be cost effective. You will be in the hole for a long time trying to break even. Loading for accuracy is not completely but is somewhat lost on the calibers that you are considering. The 7.62x54R IMO shoots pretty well with the surplus ammo and there is not much to be gained accuracy wise reloading it. I reload thousands of rounds a year and really enjoy it. If I only loaded a few different calibers I still would because I like to reload. Such as 9mm. I can load more accurate ammo but I really don't save much money loading it.
  • Options
    geterdon69geterdon69 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    G. david tubb has a good dvd on reloading for first timers. ck midway
    Buy a good manual and read it !!
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get "the ABC's of reloading", than get the manual put out by the maker of the bullet(s) your going to use (Sierra, Speer, Nosler, Hornady). Read them both at least twice (you can skip the loading data for now), until you understand the process, and the possible ramifications of errors and overconfidence.
    At this point go to the data section for your cartridge(s), select the bullet weight(s) your wanting to work with, and than select the powder(s) you wish to experiment with (Sierra and Nosler both give the powder type and charge that gave them the best accuracy).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    good advice. i'm gonna have to print all this out to read over again.
  • Options
    SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might I suggest LEE's Anniversary kit? This kit, a good manual, dies, and your components is all you need to get started. You can purchase other goodies if reloading turns out to be something you enjoy.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please remember;
    Reloading is a very simple mechanical process that is effected by a million variables. Reloading rifle ammo is a simple two die four step process. Most pistol reloading is a three die process. Mechanicaly it is quite simple. But; the science behind it is a life long learning process.

Jump in and enjoy. As you need help in putting the next piece in place we are here to help you.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second, third or whatever the recommendation to read about reloading until you won't have to ask about what equipment you will need. It is important that you understand what all the equipment is doing and not just have a shopping list.

How good are you at horse trading? After you know what equipment you will need you can go to the auction sites and pick stuff up for much less than mail order. Most reloading equipment does not wear out and people upgrade all the time, die, or get out of the hobby. If later you want to move up to better equipment you can get that on the auction sites and sell your older stuff without much of a loss.

Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    suggestions on books to read then?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aramisvi,

I like Hornady's reloading manual. Most any of the bigger name reloading manuals cover the rules for all the in and outs. Like Bpost said there are only a few steps to rifle and pistol reloading. But there are a bunch of inspections in between. The books cover what to look for and when to throw brass out. You will know by the time you read one how to set up and check your powder loads. Ask a question on any step you feel you could use some help. It doesn't always have to be about a process set up, it might be about powder or bullet or primer choice for a given round.

-good luck
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aramisvi
    suggestions on books to read then?

Like tailgunner said....
    "Get "the ABC's of reloading", than get the manual put out by the maker of the bullet(s) your going to use (Sierra, Speer, Nosler, Hornady). Read them both at least twice (you can skip the loading data for now), until you understand the process, and the possible ramifications of errors and overconfidence."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you guys. i printed everything so far so i can read it agin and research everything.
    thanks!
  • Options
    SteveWagSteveWag Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am not real familiar with that press but it looks like it uses non-standard shell holders but I expect that they are still available from Lyman. I would be careful about the shipping costs because they could be a deal breaker. The Scale and the powder measure would cost more than the starting bid if they were new. You could probably relist the dies and recoup a big part of your costs. All this said I think you can find other deals to watch as well, don't get too set on this one, be patient and switch to another auction if it gets bid up.

Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    not set on anything yet. i just found this on a google search.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aramisvi,

That set up will work for starters. Make sure you get a shipping estimate before bidding. It looks to be in good condition.

You can buy a solid RCBS press for around $100. A separate set of scales and powder measure will run an extra fifty or so. Buying used on fleabay is an option but hit or miss if you want the equipment now. Or, You can buy a top of the line RCBS Rockchucker kit for $250 right now in a number of places. You are eventually going to need all of those tools if you continue reloading.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    About $115 and you can have all the necessary equipment. These are prices from Midway.

LEE Anniversary kit: $70

LEE Pacesetter dies(7.62x54R) $20

LEE Carbide pistol dies (9x18) $22

You'll also need to trim the brass after so many firings. The kit comes with a cutter and lock stud, so you just need a case length gage. These are caliber specific and about $3.

There you have it, other than that all you need is the components.

LEE runs way less in price than the RCBS. Dont let the price fool you though, its great quality and it will last. It's my current set up.

LEE makes it easy to get into the hobby without dishing out a fortune.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks sw! i'll check out LEE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Browsing ebay and came upon this.

Thought you may be interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RCBS-Rock-Chucker-Reloading-Kit_W0QQitemZ260120636370QQihZ016QQcategoryZ71120QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That kit retails for $250 or a little more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i missed it. it went for $203
  • Options
    bangbangusabangbangusa Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find a knowlegable reloader, and learn from the ground up. Most of our fellow reloaders are more than happy to bring another loader into the "fold"

Buddy up with your father, learn together, and you have a great father son activity. My father and I did this for almost 30 years, and just reloading with him brought me more joy than shooting the bullets!! Plus, if you forget something, he might remember.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    boy would i love to do something like this with dad, but we live 7 hours apart.
  • Options
    bangbangusabangbangusa Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunatly, mine is 6 feet under :(

The nra lost a hell of a member, and the world a hell of a man.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My dad's be gone for more than 10 years. My dad sprang for my first press when I was 16. He did not shoot himself anymore but had my uncle teach me to shoot. Dad never shot much after his stroke which may have been caused by his WWII bullet wound in his hip or just untreated high blood pressure. Never had good use of his right arm after his stroke. He boought my brother and I a stevens 22, ithica 20 gauge, a win 94 30-30 and a 6.5mm carcano sporter, a Lyman (my Uncles first name) turret press and a shot shell reloader. My dad's bronze star is on my night stand and my brother has his purple heart. We grew up in the Maine woods, I now live in SE Lousiana. It was nice sharing guns and loading equipment that way it was like we each had more. I have a local friend who loans me bullet molds, dies, etc. I take good care of them and would loan him my equipment if he did not have better. We sometimes go shooting together and we shoot each others guns with whatever ammo anyone brought. Share found brass with whoever has a gun that can use it. With care reloading equipment will out last many owners and serve many shooters it is a rare reloader who's equipment doesn't sit idle much of the time. Go to the range and try to befriend someone who reloads, he probably will let you use his equipment and is a good shot as well.

Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks tim. i love the story. my grandfather was in the navy in WWII. i have his blues and peacoat hanging in my closet right now. as for shooting, i grew up in a family of hunters so i'm ok there, but none have ever reloaded. in about a week i'll find out if i can go back to worj or have to find another job, but my first purchase is going to be a lee or lyman press. and a good manual.