In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5x284 - can be formed from 284 Win?

Can the 284 Win brass be squeezed enough to be used in a 6.5x284?

...or...better to buy 6.5x284 brass?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcloco,

That's how we made the first cases to compete with a number of years ago. Like any other necking down operation, you have to know the diameter of your chamber neck and be sure to turn any extra off for clearance and watch for the doughnut at the base of the neck and shoulder junction on the inside of the case. Other than that, it's a simple necking down process. In my opinion, you will get better cases when you buy the Lapua 6.5 x 284 cases rather than making your own from Winchester .284 cases. However, I admit to necking the .284 cases down not only to the 6.5mm but on down to .25 cal. and 6mm as well.

Best.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, but less work in buying brass made for it.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall reading that 6.5x284 Lapua is not quite the same as .284 Winchester necked down. Best if your gunsmith knows in advance which brass you will use.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You 'recall' correctly, the 6.5 x 284 Winchester version is not the same as the standard .284 Winchester case, which is a common occurrence when a cartridge goes through the SAAMI/CIP approval process. It is also not the same as the 6.5 x 284 Norma or any of the other 7 drawings I have on file for the basic 6.5 x 284 cartridges that have been represented in the field. The neck on the Norma case is slightly shorter than the neck of the .284 Winchester so you can stop short on the neck reduction then fireform. The remainder of the dimensions are supposed to be the same but knowing manufacturing and especially cartridge case manufacturing, there could be tiny dimensional differences. As long as the headspace is correct, fireforming will take care of any of the small differences.

However, when we first started creating some of the 6.5 cases from the standard .284 cases there weren't any SAAMI/CIP specifications so it pretty much was simply a process of reducing the neck diameter, no more, no less. I didn't even wait to order or make a reamer, I just used a small boring bar and cut the chamber using indicators. Try that some time...

Anyway, the answer to the original question is still yes, because the .284 Winchester brass can still be 'squeezed' down to make 6.5 x 284 cases. Standard procedure is to reduce the neck slightly and check it in the chamber and continue until you have a snug fit for an existing chamber.

Best.