In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.243 load for whitetail

earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
I just got my daughter a ruger compact in .243 for her birthday. Any suggestions on a good load for whitetail?[:)]. I will start her on the tame factory loads on the bench, but want something to make sure she puts her first deer down deader than disco.[8D]

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I love the Nosler PARTITIONED bullets for the 243 they WILL expand on lower velocity[:)] if you use light loads but also penetrate well .Cheers Karl.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Karl
    My daughter also likes to help at the reloading bench, so loading her own to take a deer will add to the memory[:)]
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I also cast a vote for the Nosler's.

I took 25 straight deer with that round, and with that bullet. Never took a second shot..but most were neck shots, also.
    My Ruger 77 is very accurate..instilled a lot of confidence in me.

Been entirely too long ago to remember the load I used...don't have access to my old loading books presently.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    earlwellman,

I suggest using 36 gr. of 4895 behind an 85 gr. Nosler or Hornady 87 Sp. That pushes the bullet out around 3200, -+ depending on your barrel length. Excellent on deer with a rib shot or frontal chest shot. There isn't that much kick with that load.
    Next idea is if you like heavier bullets in the .243 use 38 gr. of H4350 for around 2950 fps with a 100 gr. bullet.

Start a couple grains low and work up...or not(work up)...if you like what you get with the original loads and they don't kick that bad.

-good luck
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    243s shoot well with most all bullet weights but most shoot the best groups with 100 grain.I used Nosler Partition for several years and had no problem until the price of them went through the roof.I went back to using Sierra 100 grain.The Sierras may be a little more accurate at half the price and work on whitetails as well as any bullet I have ever used.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Indeed, most of my shooting with the .243 took place 30-35 years ago...and the incidence of bullet failure was pretty high using other makers bullets.

Today...most bullets will do exactly as advertised..so the chances of a bad bullet is pretty low.
    Just stay away from varmint bullets for white tails, for sure.
    I used to use 87 grain Sierras for coyotes...nice bullet for long range...and devastating when it hit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanx, all
    I will probably go with a heavier bullet around 100 grn, I use Varget for a lot of my other calibers, so I'll have to check the load book for it.
    Earl
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanx, all
    I will probably go with a heavier bullet around 100 grn, I use Varget for a lot of my other calibers, so I'll have to check the load book for it.
    Earl
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used a 243 off and on since 1979, and it has continued to kill deer cleanly. certainly i'd go with heavier and stout bullets--90-100 grain hornady SST, swift scirocco, or nosler partition.