In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington .40 S&W for quality reload casings?

first_timerfirst_timer Member Posts: 357 ✭✭✭
Are Remington .40 S&W(the only caliber my semi-auto use)as good, durable as Winchester .40 180 gr. for reloaing quality and reloading longevity?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Be careful on loading 40S&W many of these pistols have different amount of support on the bottom of the case because of the feed ramp. Glock is one of the ones to watch out for.The 40 is a high pressure round if any case sizes hard it is because it was buldged THROW that case away.Edit Edit [:p][:p][:p] In my experience Remington is anealed to be softer then Winchester or Federal Cheers Karl PS dont reload with lead bullets if you want to shoot reloads in a Glock. Remember also if you ever have gun trouble Parts breakage all factories void warrenty if you state that you were shooting reloads.IMHO this makes a good point as they have no way of knowing to what spec's the load is.
  • first_timerfirst_timer Member Posts: 357 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK perry shooter,
    I'll keep that in mind, but with 10 different .40 cal pistols(from all steel full size, polymer midsize and subcompacts)it's a little late to switch now...and I like .40 ca. anyway).
    But I'll remember what you said.

BUT....please let me know if Remington is a good a reload quality as Winchester, as was my true interest in posting this before going our and buying Boat Loads of less than Winchester quality ammo.

Is Remington as good a brass to reload as many times as Winchester, please?(in generel)?
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is nothing wrong with Remington brass. It will load just as well as Winchester. If you are buying new ammo to shoot and then use the brass to reload Winchester USA (white box) or Federal American Eagle are more consistent in my experience than the Remington UMC (tan box).
  • first_timerfirst_timer Member Posts: 357 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BHAVIN,
    Consistant? in what way? Accuracy firing?...or manufactured materials needed for reloading quality?
    Yes, I'm wanting to buy new ammo to use and then reload multiple times(until worn out and showing signs of brass failure making it unwise to use anymore)

The comparison I'm looking for is between those WinchesterUSA white boxes 40 cal 180 grain...and similar Remington ammo in 250 round green and yellow boxes.

I don't think it's UMC
    (what is 180 grain 40 cal. UMC, anyway, please?)
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I load a good bit of 40 S&W and I would say that Winchester brass is a little more durable if you were using it in a Glock. I have found that I get good life out of most 40 S&W brass. I usually use Federal and Winchester brass for my hotter reloads, and save the Remington for lighter lead bullet loads. As cheap as once fired 40 S&W brass is, I don't know that I would invest a lot on new ammo if it is to just get brass. We share our club range with a couple of police departments that use Glocks and never shoot reloads so I usually get all I want just for the effort of picking it up.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consistency and accuracy wise. Remington's bargain econo ammo is labeled "UMC". It is like Winchesters "USA" or Federals "American Eagle". I prefer Federal or Win brass but in pistol I shoot most of the American made brass, whatever I happen to pick up.