In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RCBS PRO 2000, any good?

veemaxveemax Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
A few days agoo a friend called and told me, his brother was passed away some time agoo and when he visited the widow, she showed him a reloading press she has no use for.
The question to me was, would I like to have the machine, Ican have it for free.
I do'nt know anything about progressive presses and I only load rifle ammo like .222Rem, .308Winch and 8x57IS.
Is such a press able to deliver ammo which can be compared with ammo made on a single stage press?
Regards,
Paul Tummers.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    veemax,

The Pro 2000 is a very usable press as long as you need a progressive with all of its features. I tested one of these right after they were released to the public and I actually liked working with it. The APS strips took some getting used to but other than that, it is fine alternative to the Dillon designs. Free doesn't hurt anything either.

I'm not a volume reloader at all. I have several single stage presses which serve most of my needs but I still have the 2000 and a Dillon that I set up occasionally for fun shoots which require larger amounts of ammunition.

Progressives can craft excellent ammunition so long as the reloader does his or her part from the very beginning and concentrates throughout the process. I included a couple of articles about the Pro 2000 below:

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=26

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_3_50/ai_112646117

Best.
  • Options
    tombiasitombiasi Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,
    I just started reloading and got the Pro 2000 from eBay.
    I ordered the dies and plates that I needed from Midway.
    Some little parts were missing so I called RCBS. They helped me determine what was missing and supplied me with the parts, Free!

The only thing so far that I wish could be addressed is the detent ball-bearing which likes to roll across the floor when changing plates.

I like the unit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tombiasi
    Hi,
    I just started reloading and got the Pro 2000 from eBay.
    I ordered the dies and plates that I needed from Midway.
    Some little parts were missing so I called RCBS. They helped me determine what was missing and supplied me with the parts, Free!

The only thing so far that I wish could be addressed is the detent ball-bearing which likes to roll across the floor when changing plates.

I like the unit.

Good luck with your 2000!
    I just succeeded to buy 2 exta toolplates and the shell-plates I need to load my 2 calibers and I am thinking of buying an extra linkage system and powder drop, because setting up the powder dispenser to throw the correct volume is as far I can think about it without having seen the press otherwise than from pictures, the most time consuming part of changing to another caliber;
    The die-set is fixed and regulated in its toolplate, changing the set-up toolplate is a matter of seconds,changing over from small to large primer vv. takes just changing the seater plug and changing the shellplate is also done in a minute or two, just as changing the spring location to the case in the priming station.
    If I am wrong please say so, I try to get prepared for the press and its use already in advance of receiving it as much as possible.
    Regards,
    Paul Tummers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got the press yesterday, it looks good and well cared for.
    The only thing I do not get going yet is the linkage system for the powder measure;
    The linkage is exactly installed the way it should be, user's manual is with the press, however I cannot get it adjusted to move the drum all the way, so picking up the right volume of powder from the reservoir is a little a matter of luck.
    Any suggestions?Please mail!!
    It would be a shame, a good press like that having lying around, useless,only because of this problem!
    Kind regards,
    Paul Tummers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by veemax
    I got the press yesterday, it looks good and well cared for.
    The only thing I do not get going yet is the linkage system for the powder measure;
    The linkage is exactly installed the way it should be, user's manual is with the press, however I cannot get it adjusted to move the drum all the way, so picking up the right volume of powder from the reservoir is a little a matter of luck.
    Any suggestions?Please mail!!
    It would be a shame, a good press like that having lying around, useless,only because of this problem!
    Kind regards,
    Paul Tummers.

I just was thinking about the problem with the powder measure and wonder or it would not be an option to forget about the whole thing and instead just mounting a Dillon powder measure unit on the dillon powder die and the required bushing?
    This unit is also case-activated and has a return spring as well.
    Regards,
    Paul Tummers.