In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Short 270, 270 or 25-06

sweet_220sweet_220 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
help! trying to figure out whats the best round would be. would like a med barrel bolt gun. Texas deer would be the biggest it would shoot. maybe some of you have had some experience with any of above.
something under 800.00.
Remington
Howa
Savage?
help

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    BTW ,I shoot at a lot of paper.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with either of the calibers you listed but my favorite would be the .280 Remington. Better bullet selection.
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .25-06 hands down. Medium weight barrel Savage. Stay away from the short wonder mags and embrace the proven.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I do like speed as well as a good group. Finding the balance between speed and a great group is what I like to do. The 270 and the 25-06 both have been around a while. The short 270 interested me, it seemed to be a good balance without kiiling the barrel. 140 gr. 270 or a 85/100 gr. 25-06 would do. any advice would be great.
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go with the 25-06..... i prefer a 26" barrel i also like my heavy barrel sendero's and don't really mind the extra weight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah I like my 300 sendero it shots great. Think the 25-06 is the way to go?
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you reload, I believe the .270 or 25-06 is the way to go. I heard that the wunder mags can be a litle finicky to reload. Being as short and fat as they are, they can be tricky to get sized right.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Pinhead like the .280 personally. But of the two you list I would go with the 25-06. I also like Remington 700's but the Savage and Howa are both good solid guns. I have a 700 bdl in .280 and would not trade it period.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .270 Winchester is a great round and in most cases I would choose this. However, the 25-06 is also a very good round and it sounds like it may suit your needs/wants a little better.

Jon
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .270, 25'06 or .280.
    Take a close look at Ruger's new Hawkeye and the Savage classic.
    I've found nothing to improve on the Ruger but the Savage Accu-triggers are nice and they've done a good job with their new rifle.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    .270, 25'06 or .280.
    Take a close look at Ruger's new Hawkeye and the Savage classic.
    I've found nothing to improve on the Ruger but the Savage Accu-triggers are nice and they've done a good job with their new rifle.

As the proud owner of a 270WSM (Model 70) I gotta say, I just don't see the advantage of the short mags. Go with something you can get ammo for no matter where you are.

And I'd buy a Savage any day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I know new does not make any better, it just makes new. I do reload and love working with the guns to get it to shoot better if nec. It would be nice if Remington (Ruger also)would come out with a cool trigger on top of a killer bolt gun. gotta love those BDL'S and sendero's. My 220 swift in a VT Ruger shoots awesome!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you have a sendero already in 300 you know the gun, get one in 25-06 and you won't be disappointed, although sendero 25-06's are getting higher and harder to find they make a great gun. i see used ones on here and they have the new sendero's out too but the 25-06 is limited production model and above your 800 cap.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK we blow the 800.00 limit and get a 25-06 Sendero with a sweet Nikon on top.should do the trick, I knew the 270's and 25-06 were sweet so you talked me into it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    good choice!! you won't be dissappoined in the 25-06 in a sendero or any other model for that matter, but personally i'm not giving up my sendero for nutten!! Since you reload, look at the Sierra book and go with the accuracy load and set your OAL for your rifle and see if that doesnt do the trick for you.... i started with that when reloading for mine and havent changed it yet...