In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Primer pocket uniformer

jayteejaytee Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
How many of you guys use this tool? I've used one on my cases but am wondering if its really needed. Seems like sometimes it can take a lot of material out of the case head and I have concerns about case failure. How "deep" should I cut with this? And another question, I also use a flashhole deburring tool. I debur and champfur from the inside of the case and then I lightly do the same from the outside. Is this correct or should I change my method? Thanks for any help![:)]

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends what you need it for. For exacting benchrest competition, it is just one more step to wring one bit more accuracy out of the gun. I have never done it so I can't comment on technique.

For ordinary hunting, target shooting, etc. with 'regular' guns, in 99% of cases it is not going to make a difference. At best it is just practicing good habits.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jaytee,

The primary reason to use any of the "accurizing" tools is to establish consistancy and uniformity from case to case. You are removing one or more of the potential variables that can have an affect on accuracy, thereby eliminating a possible question as to what causes particular problems if they occur.

During case manufacture, burrs are often raised around the primer flash hole from punching operations and primer flash hole uniformity can be affected. A flash hole uniformer will remove these burrs and standardize the length of the flash hole, allowing a more uniform flash to ignite the powder charge thus improving accuracy.

The manufacturing process for making brass cases lends itself to minor inconsistancies especially in the primer pocket/flash hole area. Uniforming these areas contributes to consistancy. Both the diameter and the depth of the primer pocket can have a negative affect on shot-to-shot consistancy. Making them all the same removes this variable from the list of potential problems.

Does everyone need to use these procedures? No. But none of these little processes will hurt the cases either as long as they are performed correctly. They can have a very positive effect in combination with a load work up program. I do these automatically every time I get new brass. It's just part of my working procedures.

Best.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    ....aaand I am not sure you should be removing a lot of material from there - you don't want to make the primer fall out, nor do you want to set it any deeper than flush or just below flush with the end of the case. I treat all the flash holes just about like you do...ONE TIME, at the first reload. And I went years without the primer pock uniformer - it is just a "pride" step for me, as I am not one who keeps same lots of brass, and tests for perfect uniformity of the round at every step. I just reload to help keep the costs down a little, make "custom rounds" and to have a nice pastime when not out shooting or otherwise occupied.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    primer pocket uniformers, such as the Sinclair unit I use,..DO NOT remove material from the radius of the primer pocket, only the bottom/crushing surface. They will NOT loosen a primer pocket,..but they will uniform them across the lot. I DO NOT weigh cases in a lot of brass before they are trimmed, primer pockets uniformed, deburred and chamfored. That is the only way to know the lot is perfectly consistent. This is of course assuming you have FL sized the cases to create the same external dimension prior to all of the aforementioned proceedures.