In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Newbie reloader question

spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
I'm just getting into reloading and have encountered a problem I can't answer.

What if your reloading manual does not specify data for the bullet you're loading?

First, I'm not going for performance right now. I'm loading light, plinker rounds to get the hang of it (and to save a little cash....we'll see if that works out).

I loaded some .45ACP rounds with 3.8 grains of bullseye powder (recommended starting load per Lymans manual) using Magtech 230 grain FMJ ball bullets, which have a profile like this:

magtechfmj.jpg

No problem. The manual said that cartridge length should be 1.275" OAL, which is what I did. They worked fine.

Then I loaded Remington Golden Saber HP FMJ's (230 grain) with 4 grains of bullseye powder) for an overall cartridge length of 1.240" OAL. They worked fine. That, too came from a manual. Profile of that bullet is like this:

Remgoldensaberjhp.jpg

Now I have a box of Hornady XTP FMJ-FP encapsulated bullets and no data in my manual. I'd been finishing the last of the Magtech bullets so I didn't mess with the dies, but just used them as they had been to seat these Hornady bullets. I'm using 4 grains of powder and the OAL of the cartridge is 1.250. The bullet profile looks like this:

hornadyfmj-fn-enc.jpg

I only loaded about a dozen of these because I wasn't sure what I was doing, and I haven't fired them yet. The cartridges appear to have the same profile as the Magtech cartridges, less the rounded nose.

So, my questions: is it safe to try these things? Is there a better way to approach loading a bullet when you have no data? Is it safe to assume that because I'm working at the bottom end of the recommended powder weight, I at least won't disfigure myself if a particular load doesn't work?

All input is appreciated...even the flaming sarcastic variety.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The general answer to your first question is; that is what the fine print in the manual about "starting loads" and "working up" is about.

I would seat those bullets with about .020" of the full diameter portion above the case mouth and drop the first one (or a dummy) into the barrel, clean and out of the gun to be sure it would chamber FREELY with the case head a little below the barrel hood, like a sized empty case. You need a little "jump" to the rifling with a jacketed bullet and that would make sure the round was headspacing on the case mouth instead of the leading edge of the bullet's bearing surface. (Which you can do with lead.)
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I have loaded 45ACP for 35+years most of mine are either lead semi wadcutter or 230 Ball How ever I have experimented with tested in a ransom rest and loaded many different bullet shapes and weights along the way . This is what I do and others may feel different . I believe at least 2 things are important to consider with each bullet design. #1 How much of the case does this bullet take up when loaded. as some of the composit bullets with no lead will have the base of the bullet much further down in the case when loaded to the same OAL as a pure lead bullet with the same weight and nose shape. This will in effect reduce case capacity and raise pressures. And #2 depending on your chamber two bullets with the same OAL but different nose shape might allow one to chamber but the other to jam into the rifling.When loading a new style bullet I first remove the barrel from the gun I am going to fire the round in and with the magazine I am going to use I set up my press and seating die load one round "If you have a single station press you can bypass seating the new primer and installing the new charge of powder " I load one round and then check to see if it will both fit in the magazine without dragging on the nose and then see it the round will full chamber in the clean barrel under its own weight. "don't need to push it in" .If both of these conditions are met then I start working up a load of powder to both give 100% function and best groups within acceptable pressures.Note all ammo is not loaded for the same purpose My target loads have a very long nose 200 grain semi wadcutter lead.I have loaded over 250,000 of them and am looking for group size they would be a POOR choice for C C as they are so long I have to drop the magazine to unload for the loaded round is longer then the ejection port. "PRAISE-THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the .45 head-spaces on the case mouth seating depth mostly concerns getting the round into the magazine at an optimal length so it will feed OK.

Your loads are very mild for a .45ACP You might want to get some Tite Group powder when you get low on bullseye. It too uses very low charge weights like bullseye but burns a LOT cleaner. Unique is hard to beat for higher performance loads.

As far as bullets of the same weight and different manufacturer goes;
    The pressure curve has a lot to do with jacket hardness, diameter and bearing surface. The loads you are using are so mild I can't see any problem using different bullet types. It is when you are pushing the edge that a small change in components can make big changes in pressure and get you into trouble.

One indicator of this is that some lead bullets loads list a lot higher charge weight than for jacketed bullets. The reason is the engraving force required to move the bullet down the barrel is a lot lower for lead. Therefore maximum pressure charge weights tend to be higher.

Welcome to reloading! It is a life long addiction.
  • Options
    spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your help, guys.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    1.250 plus or minus .025 will work just fine for the bullets you show. Your Bullseye loads are at the starting point.