In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sandwarrior

wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
I got a chance to fire my 250-3000 yesterday with my new loads using the 87gr Hornady SPs.I did a bunch with W760 @ 41grs and performed very well.I could cover the group with a quarter,@50 yds, but a good indicator none the less. I feel that its just a waste of powder to try and make anything other than the 87s to work.I do want to try the Noslers though.

Just for reference I warmed her up with some loads that I had using some 4320 and 100gr Hornadys.They were all over the place, 8-10" apart at 50 yards....I'm gonna pull the rest of those and try the 4320 with the 87s and see what happens...Ron

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just an update on my Ruger Ultralight 257 Roberts. I floated the barrel. Loaded up several combos of powders & bullets using your experience as a quideline. Found one (or more) that will work.

Understand that I am 64 yrs old, my eyes are not what they were, I was shooting from a portable shooting rest in a pasture, a breeze (at least here in West Texas it was a breeze) was blowing, etc. According to my rangefinder, the target was 102 yds. However, after floating the barrel it put 4 Hornady factory 117 BTSPs in about 1.25". My best handload group was with Hornady 120 gr hollow point & 35 gr of 4320 (four in less than an inch). Also had acceptable results with 4895 & 100 gr Hornady and 4350 & the 120.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Marvin
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wtroper,

Glad to hear that helped! I laugh now because I always wanted a longer barrel and some 'stuff' to go with my Ruger when I bought it but I was broke when I did. It ended up with nine deer, an antelope, and an elk. So having all the stuff to go with it didn't really matter. And the couple hundred fps I missed out on didn't seem to matter either. That rifle with the right load always brought them down without much fuss.

Did you get much muzzle blast with the 4350? Or was the 120 heavy enough to get all the powder burned before it exited the barrel?

Thanks for the update
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had loads using 4895, 4350, 4320, & RL 15 and 100 gr & 120 gr bullets. However, all of the loads were "mid-range" quantities of powder based upon my reloading manuals. Since the 257 loads listed in the manuals are usually not "hot," backing down toward the middle of the range for each powder produced very "mild" loads. I did not notice consequential muzzle blast from the 4350. However, I only loaded it with the 120s. For all loads that I tried, the report was not loud and the recoil almost nonexistent even in the ultralight.

As I stated earlier in my email to you, I am not concerned with maximizing velocity for my use for this rifle. While I did not take my chronograph, I expect that the 4320 load that shot the best is probably only doing 2600 or so. However, after shooting 14" contenders for some years and seeing their performance with bullets moving @ 2400 or less, 2600 does not seem so slow. I expect it to do the job that I need done.

Following my "high velocity days" (several years ago), I have become very satisfied with rifles that produce 2600-2800 fps @ the muzzle. Back when, I wanted everything to do over 3000. I have had as much success (or more) with the milder rounds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wtroper,

No question that this rifle with 120's moving at 2600 fps is adequate for deer. I never was much of a fan of recoil either...ever. And, I'm only 44. But, one of the loads I liked the most specifically for that, with my dad's and then my rifle was the 41 gr. of H4895 behind an 87 gr. bullet. All the deer but one, I took with that rifle were with that load. It runs over 3000 fps(in the summer less when cold), but with the light bullet weight doesn't produce as much recoil.

What part of west Texas are you in? I spent some time training around Midland/Odessa and Big Springs when I was in the service. And a little farther west in Oro Grande. Got to spend a couple evenings off down in El Paso and Jaurez.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am in the Panhandle -- Hereford (near Amarillo). Lived for 5 years in the recent past NE of Lovington, NM (not far from Odessa). Went to college (long time ago) in Las Cruces. Been through Ora Grande many times. Have spent some time (mostly pleasurable) in El Paso & its sister city to the south. Teach in El Paso every fall. Used to work out of Lubbock (covered 20 counties). Howard County (Big Spring) was my southern most county. Yup, know all of that area well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]had a lot of fun out that way![8D][}:)][:D][:D][:D]