In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

measuring groups

should a group be measured from outside of the holes or should it be measured from center to center just wondered what is the real way it is supposed to be done.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    csjs1194,

The 'real' way to measure a group is from center-to-center. That way you can stay consistant with other group measurments and be able to compare groups with other shooters without explanation and more math.

Competition measurements are done with calipers that have a 'center' mounted on one blade that fits the bullet diameter and the other blade has a piece of clear plexiglas on it that has been etched with circles matching the various bullet diameters.

If you're doing it yourself at the range, just measure outside-to-outside and subtract the bullet diameter. This is close enough even though competition rules have a different method of determining what the bullet diameter is.

Best.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Center to center. That is how you can shoot a group smaller than bullet diameter.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I shot a .279 and a .264 with my .223 those were the small groups from yesterday. I was pretty happy with that not to bad for a stock remington 700 vls also had some .4's but these were the best.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    csjs1194,

Even your larger groups are considered to be excellent for a stock rifle without modifications but your small groups are nothing short of superb! Great job of shooting and I hope, reloading! You might want to let us know what your load consisted of or which factory ammunition you used. You don't have to list the powder weight but just the components and any special preparations that you used.

Super work, congratulations!

Best.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]-csjs1194, those are great groups and probably could be tighter with some better benchrest shooting practice--

--My Rem 700 BDL bull bbl .223 has produced (posted this previously) .209 3 shot/100yds group using 24.2 gr of AA2230c powder and 52gr speer HPBT fmj--

----JIMBO
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    Nononsense,
    Winchester case,Benchmark powder 25.7gr,Nosler ballistic tip 50gr., Federal 205 match primer (the regular 205's produced lower deviation)

I trimmed the cases and deburred the flash holes and weighed every powder charge and not really any thing else I just take my time when I am loading It takes how ever long it takes and I will not hurry or get sloppy.

This rifle is an awesome example of the Quality that Remington puts into their products

The weather was very hot 92 degrees and I was getting a glare on my scope and was seeing a lot of mirage or at least I think that is what I was seeing. I had to dial it up to about 14x to see clearly

I have just really gotten into target shooting and I love it I have always been an avid hunter

I would like to learn long range shooting and try competition.