In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

German Makarov needs hotter load ?

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked up a nice German Makrov a while back. The SA trigger is a dream....I was actually getting 'doubles' for a while until I changed my grip a bit.

Every now and then the gun will revert to DA mode in the middle of a mag. I was going to consider this for carry, but when you expect that 2# SA pull and get the 7# DA pull......that's not something dependable.

I've been changing ammo, and a few days ago I bought a box of the , ah crap, the stuff thats aluminum cased. Anyway, the piece went to DA on every two or three rounds, MUCH more than usual.

I was at my favorite gunsmith's shop yesterday, and I had the gun, so I asked him. He handled it a bit, then said his first guess was that the slide was not cycling all the way, and he would find hotter loads before he went to a weaker spring. I've been saving any boxer brass I had, but I only get about 50% back. I reload, but never anything this small.

Any suggestions on 'hotter boxer ammo' ? It may answer my 'needs a hotter load' question while building brass stock of the same make.

Thanks

Comments

• 788-308788-308 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you used any of the big red "W" made ammo?
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, I have not.
    I have depleted the options at the best store in town.
    I'll surf a bit for any +P options, and keep an eye open for 'big red W's Makarov loads.

Thank You
  • aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    I know it's not a makarov, but i have a PA-63 chambered for the mak round (9x18) I have tried several different rounds (hornady, blazer (aluminum cased), winchester, s&b, and silver bear...and i have found that the 2 most reliable rounds have been the s&b and the winchester. both cycle very smoothly and are very accurate. i highly recommend the winchester round for home defense as it feels a little more meaty when shooting. plus @ $20 a box it becomes a bit much to spend on practicing, but every bit worth it. also, i have seen the bullets out for reloading purposes... box of 100 @ $18.00 i think but don't hold me to that.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've got a German Makarov and never had it "double" on me. If I were you I would find a gunsmith that "knows" the workings of the Mak and have them check it over good. It sounds like some "gun plumber" worked on it.
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I mentioned in my original post.

I was causing the 'doubles' by way of my grip (on the smallest pistol I've ever shot). Basically I was 'bump firing'. After recoil, the piece would rotate forward in my hand and I would touch off another round off.

A shooting buddy came accross some " + p " Makarov loads (I'll remember the name in a minute). Shooting that ammo I had zero "return to DA mode" problems through the 50 round box.
    There were no signs of excessive pressure from case inspections, so I may be 'fixed'.

I put a bit larger soft rubber grip on, and that has helped me hold on to the small grip.

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES
  • AZgunownerAZgunowner Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i got the p-64 mak clone.i use wolf 95grainfmj with no problems.I worry about useing +p ammo with all my guns,but thats just me.