In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cleaning media and additives

jayteejaytee Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
Just wondering what type of media you folks use? Is any type better then others? What type of additives do you use?

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use rice to clean and corn cob to polish. If the brass is really bad I will use walnut hulls after the rice. I use Dillon polish and sometimes the Frankford Arsenal. Both work well. I like my brass shiny new. I usually run the rice for 2 hours and the corn for 1 hour. and the brass glows. A bottle of polish will last a long time.
  • Options
    nosvettenosvette Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard of pro shooters cleaning cases with ceramic media and also with stainless steel media (to clean the insides of the cases well)
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I throw mine in corn cob media with some water based polish and walk away for about 3-4hrs. They are plenty clean inside and out.
  • Options
    desert-shooterdesert-shooter Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:BHAVIN Posted I use rice to clean and corn cob to polish.

Are you using rice that you buy at the grocery store? [:0]
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I also use rice and Midway's cleaner. I buy the cheapest small grain rice in 5 lb bags. I use it to clean and polish.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes rice from a store, but not like uncle bens or minute rice. The rice that Asian people eat is best. It comes in small burlap sacks and different varieties.BTW the more rice sticks together, the healthier it is to eat.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes store bought. I buy the cheapest long grain rice. Usually in 5lb bags. I tried to sell is a "dirty rice" when I was done with it but nobody wanted it[V]. It works well and doesn't need to be changed as often as corncob or walnut.