In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Homemade, ersatz, and off the wall sizing lube?

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
Just curious, other than commercial brands, what do you use?

I've heard folks use Udderly Smooth, bulk Lanolin, even KY Jelly. Personally I've always used Lee sizing lube, Hornady One Shot, or Dillon's spray lube, which has a Lanolin base. Still, at $8 something per bottle for the Hornady, I'd welcome the chance to use something else. My latest project is probably going to be squeezing a hole tube of Lee lube into a hairspray bottle and then filling it with water, and seeing if it will pump.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put the LEE lube in a bottle and mix with rubbing alcohol. Enough alcohol to make it spray is all that matters. Works like a charm.
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jonk,i use alcohol and lanolin.just make sure that the alcohol you use is at least 90%.not the 70% stuff as it has water in it and doesnt evaporate.works great.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm using STP oil treatment thinned with kerosene. I use it on a pad, I actually find that spray is messier. I think if I used just a little more kerosene it would be sprayable.

Tim
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On another board there is a gent that uses straight Bardol oil treatment, and I remember guys recogmending straight STP.

Personaly I like Hornady "Unique", which is a lanolin base. Imperial sizing die wax is another popular product with the "old timers". Both of these are VERY inexpensive to use, as 1 tub will last for years (you can always tell the high volume, life long, reloaders as they are on their 2nd tub of either one)
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with dtknowles.

I have tried the sprays and I usually just use a pad as well.

In my opinion, the great majority of reloaders using a pad use WAY too much lube on their pad. My lube pad feels damp but does not have a big layer of goop on it. I just roll the cases across using medium pressure and pop them into the press. I think most inexperienced reloaders think there needs to be a layer of grease on top the pad and that just messes them up, causing dents in the neck and other problems.

Just my thoughts...
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....This is what I've been doing for years, as a lube pad got to be too tedious. I spray a cotton rag with WD-40, Outer's tri lube, PB Blaster, silicone, or any one or combination of the above. Drop the rag in a one gallon zip-lock bag, and add cases. While watching TV, tumble the bag around with your hands for a few minutes.
    ....I don't use carbide dies, and have never had a stuck case. If you take a break for a few days, just leave the cases in the bag.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the Lee lube-alcohol mix for years.Cheap and works great.
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jenna Jameson sez that human saliva is the best lubricant.[:D]
  • Options
    texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    On another board there is a gent that uses straight Bardol oil treatment, and I remember guys recogmending straight STP.

Personaly I like Hornady "Unique", which is a lanolin base. Imperial sizing die wax is another popular product with the "old timers". Both of these are VERY inexpensive to use, as 1 tub will last for years (you can always tell the high volume, life long, reloaders as they are on their 2nd tub of either one)

What do you mean "old timers"[:D]. Took from 1992 to last month May 07 to use up can #12. 15 years per case. Finally, had to order more.

This is not counting their dry lube.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I have never tried the Lee & alcohol mixture but it sounds interesting. I have for 40+ years used two methods, the old pad soaked with Redding lube, and Imperial Die Sizing Wax. I prefer the Imperial Wax as it removed very easily with a cloth and actually cleans the case quite well in the process(powder stains only-will not remove water stains). Works for me.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Lyman spray in the winter and RCBS in the summer. The Lyman is too thin in the summer and the RCBS is too thick in the winter. I tried the Hornady one shot and didn't like it. Not smooth enough through the die.
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine used automatic transmission fluid. I have tried it on .223 and had no problems with it at all.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I just tried the Lee and alcohol routine. It worked ok; not as slick as some but no issues. I may have thinned it a tad too much. I think that with a little less thinning it would work great, but is working well enough.