In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullseye Load

csteinhcsteinh Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
I used to shoot Bullseye in the 70's. Back then I loaded a 185 gr LSWC with 3.5 gr of Bullseye.

I am back to shooting once again. The local folks recommend 4.2 gr of WST with a 200 gr LSWC. I am not sure why the heavier bullet.

Any recommendations for good Bullseye loads with todays powders and bullets?

Also, why 200 gr LSWC instead of 185 gr LSWC?

Thanks,

Cort

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Cort;
    I "think" the 200 grain bullet is more accurate. I don't have a ransom rest but my slow fire scores seemed to be 2 to 3 points higher using a Lyman cast 200 grain bullet over 4.0 grains of WW231.

Perry Shooter may be along soon; he uses VV powders and has the medals, trophys and awards to back his opinions. I have never messed with the VV powders so I can't comment on them for bullseye shooting.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello @ things have changed in Bulls-Eye loads since the 1970 #1 and most important is sad to say todays Bulls-Eye powder is not as fast/hot as powder from 40 years ago and you will need to up your load about .4 grain to get the same velocity and thus the same group size. along these same lines many/most shooters now shoot "RED DOT " scopes on their Wad Gun and most are slide mounted this dictates that you load slightly hotter to work the slide . I am tall and thin and this also makes for a hot load to function the gun so my Loads are 4.5-4.6 grains of bulls-eye powder with 200 grain lead bullet. and this ransom rest tests with great group size also with 4.3 grains of V.V 310 most people like the 200 lead because the long nose will feed in guns that may have trouble with short jacketed bullets. If you use 185 jacketed there are 2 bullets of choice the old stand by 185 SWC and the bullet of the 1990's and later the Nosler 185 Jacketed hollow point . The Nosler and V.V. powder is costly compared to lead and Bulls-Eye powder. but that is what the Big dogs shoot they get it free."Praise the Hard-Ball Gun"
  • Options
    csteinhcsteinh Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the insight. I am going to try the LSWC in 200 grain. I think I will start with WST since that is what the local shooters use and I can get some relatively inexpensively through them.

Cort
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Cort Winchester WST is good powder for your reloads . Be aware starting with fastest to slowest of about 160 powders sold throughout the years Vihtavuori N310 is #2 Newly made Bulls-Eye is #6 and Winchester WST is #20 so most 200 grain Lead SWC like about 800 FPS out of Ransom Rest for smallest groups. This depending on size and hardness of your brand of bullet + bore size would take about 4.5 up with the WST . LIGHTER loads might work OK for the 25 yard line but I go for group size and function first plus medium to hot loads are great practice for the HARD BALL MATCH[:p][:p][:p]