In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300 Whisper - cast reloads

wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
I have a very nice 12" SSK 300 Whisper. In the past have loaded "hunting" rounds for it using 125-130 gr jacketed bullets. Lately, I have been considering loading some cast bullets -- 165-180 gr for shooting metal targets. Anyone had experience loading this caliber with cast bullets? Desired velocity somewhere around 1500 fps. Any of the slow pistol powders seem to work well in it with jacketed projectiles. Was considering starting with 296 or 110. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I don't know what fire-amr you want to shoot these in but most semi auto dont take to lead bullets well if it is gas operated the gas port will fill up with lead from the base of the bullet and cause malfunctions . Just my $.02
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would love to have a 300 whisper. As far as cast bullets go; that is one reason I want one. I have a lot of 30 caliber cast molds. I would bet that a heavy cast bullet with gas check would be great behind a load of Red Dot or unique at a few hundred FPS above supersonic speeds.

The 10th edition of Cartridges of the World lists some jacked loads for heavier bullets. Using simular charges with cast bullets of comparable weight might be a good place to start. The engraving forces are less with lead but it is also slippery in the bore. My experience with pistols is that the MV of the two is close with lead taking the lead.

I would also be curious about using Lil'Gun or some 2400 in that case too.

Have you contacted SK Industries to se what they might have for loads?
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Being it's a 12 inch barrel I can only assume it's a TC Contender, G2, or a Encore.
    If so there is no problem with using cast lead bullets in one, and they will sure make the barrel last a lot longer. I would use the same powder that worked with the same weight of the jacketed bullets. You could always give JD a call on a Saturday morning and he will be a great help to you......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. Found the info the JD sent with the Whisper some years ago. Lists loads --- many subsonic --- for heavy 30 Cal bullets up to 220 gr. Hornady manual gives plenty of loads for jacketed. Will just start there. Thanks.

BTW - it is a contender.
  • Options
    b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the contender reloaders manual
    email me
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    JD brought his 300 Whisper M-16 to the Ohio St. sub gun shoot, and it didn't put a dent in any of the steel targets we had set up.
    We also shot a TC he brought, to just play with and fire form brass with and we shot about 400rds. at about 20 yds with no dent either. These were with all jacketed bullets.
    Try your hunting loads on the steel and see what they do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks dcs. I have shot the hunting loads on steel. They do not harm it. I am just looking for a little milder load for a 12 yr old girl to shoot. Thought that the 150-165 gr @ 1500 would have very little recoil & I have some 165 cast projectiles. Just need to put them together.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If his manual does'nt show any down loads, I would call JD, I'm sure he has some as his fireforming loads are mild.