In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Substituting primers Rifle for Pistol

je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
Anybody have any experience substiting rifle primers for pistols primers in light loads? I had a friend do it in a S&W 38/357 that evidently had a strong hammer spring.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. I have used RIFLE primers in PISTOL loads. But NEVER, EVER the other way around. I had no misfires when shot in a revolver.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Back in the old days the primer pocket was slightly deeper in rifle cases then pistol cases the primer was the same diameter but also different with the rifle primer being longer . This could lead to a rifle primer setting slightly higher then it should in a pistol case [:(] would not want this in my pistol Can you say slam fire. [xx(][xx(] Your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I routinely use small pistol primers when reloading for my 22 Hornets. Accuracy is much better. I also read somewhere that the pistol primers work better in 25-20 WCF.
    Pete
  • Options
    je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a 9x23 pistol and because of the high pressure involved they are loaded with Small rifle primers. Other than that I have never interchanged.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The same is true for using pistol primers in a rifle. Such as 44mag rifles. You cannot buy rifle ammo for a 44 mag rifle. Reload books show 44mag pistol and rifle loads using both type of primers. The powder loads are almost the same. Using both primers I can't tell the difference.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I use small rifle primers in my .40S&W reloads