In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem 710 rifles

Are these rifles any good?

gander mountain in Indy has them on sale for $229 are they a decent shooter a young guy I know asked me and I really didn't know.
Thanks
chet

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CSJS You may have better luck posting this on another forum, maybe "ask the experts" or even "general discussion". A word of caution - be prepared to be abused a little as not much that is nice has been said about this particular rifle. The concept is great, the asthetics are bad, this is why remington revamped it this year and why the 710's are being sacrificed the big box stores.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington 710's have been redesigned and are now mod 770's. I'd stay away from both. Everything I've read about them have been bad.

If you're looking at an inexpensive rifle, I suggest you take a look at the Savage/Stevens Mod 200. It's basically a model 110 without the Accutrigger and a cheaper stock, but I would almost guarantee that they will outshoot any comparative rifle up to $6-700. By comparative, I mean, no heavy or bedded barrels, etc.

The Model 200's are available in an array of calibers for under $300.

You could have it bedded and a Timney or Sharpshooter trigger put on it, along with a Boyd Stock. Have $600 in it and have one hell of a rifle.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    The rifle is not for me a good friend of mines son asked me about them and I didn't know so I thouhgt I would ask you guys

He works for gander mountain and wants a rifle for coyote hunting and they have one in .243

I told him that the best I could remember I heard that they were junk but I would find out

I told him to just put a 700 in layaway and forget about it I have 2 700 vls's and both a great shooters
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the Stevens 200's in 243, one hell of a rifle for $300.

Groups under an inch all day
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I was checking out the stevens 200's the other day they seemed ok I like the savage model 12 varmint rifle a lot better but that is me the boy wanting to buy the 710 is 18 and cannot afford $700 rifles and $500 scopes[:(]

I will tell him to take a good look at the stevens 200
    thanks cubs
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't find anything I like about the 710. Action is stiff and coarse. A GOOD bolt should slide like butter, but the 710 is like sticking butter up a wild cat's butt with a red hot poker. Sticks, catches, drags, and just feels awful. Avoid it like the plague.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    my son has one
    we laped the bolt to smooth it up his has been damn deadley on white tail
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    csjs1194,

I will strongly second what cubslovers says. One. stay away from the 710 and, Two. If you want a cheap rifle get a Savage/Stevens 200.

The reason I don't like the 710/770's is it has a pressed in barrel instead of a screwed in barrel. the Savage/Stevens has a screwed in barrel with a nut to lock it at the correct headspace. The Savage/Stevens rifles come across as very cheaply made. They are...where it doesn't matter. They are built well where it does. For your basic .243 for a young shooter I would go with a Savage 200 if those were your choices.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TURD!!

For $300ish, I'd buy a used remington 700 ADL before anything else.
  • Options
    b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one in 270 and its a tack driver with 100-150 grain ammo.I have no complaints about it. it shoots better than I can hold it. I am not fond of the j-lock, other than that I have had no complaints on mine
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    But they have such nice triggers [:D]
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one of the .270win model 710's for $259.99 at academy when they first came out. The action is really stiff and rough at first, but smooths up after a little use. The scope was canted and I had to loosen the rings to adjust it, out of the box. I don't know what the twist rate of the barrel is but it favors heavier .270 cal bullets, usually 150gr shoots best. I haven't tinkered to much with a handload for it, but with factory remington and federal 150gr ammo I typicaly get about 2 to 3 MOA, which is pretty good for what the rifle is. I have to say, if you don't let the barrel cool after each shot, the result are adversly different. If you fire three shots back to back, then come back a minute later and fire three more, you would be lucky to hit a paper plate at 100 yards with it, lol.

Its not the best rifle, and if you really searched you could probably find a way better deal, but its not a bad rifle and I like mine. Its worth what they are asking for it, and if you haven't looked around lately $230 isn't alot of money anymore. I don't think you would regret purchaing it.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My gunsmith has a sign on the wall that says "You can't Polish a Turd". Forget the 710 and get the Stevens 200.
    JM