In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Blown Primer

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
I have been loading for about 20 years and had my first blown primer a couple of days ago.It didnt hurt anything but I am not sure what caused it.243 with 100 grain bullet,46 grains of H4831sc,Federal brass, CCI LR primers.It was a new rifle and the round was tight to chamber because I had loaded them for a diffrent rifle.I have sort of concluded that it was old brass or the outside temp was about 100 degrees or combination of the 2.Any ideas?

Comments

• Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    didnt help...check the fireing pin for an burrs
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nope,...hard to chamber was your indicator. Sounds like the round was either jammed in the rifling, or there was some other sort of issue where the sized round for one chamber increased pressure in another (smaller/tighter) chamber.

As a rule,..don't use loads from one rifle for another. Factory chambers can be anywhere from tight to very generous as a result of mass production and reamers getting progressively more dull during the chambering process. Factories let them go a lot longer before sharpening or replacement than would any gunsmith.

Don't shoot hard chambering rounds until the REASON for the hard chambering is found and corrected. I did the same thing in my tight chambered 300RUM benchrest rifle one 95* day (die got loose and JAMMED the pills into the lands) I knew better but fired it anyway. Damn near took a hammer to get the bolt open.
  • bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it was tight in the throat area. Make sure to check the case length.
    JM
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Plus one on big john oal of the empty case might have been too long for your chamber and then when you closed the bolt the neck was like a vice on the bullet. Check the OAL of all fired cases 243 and for that matter all bottle neck cases tend to get longer and straight walled pistol cases get shorter.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like time to consider all of the above and start back at square one working up a safe load for this rifle.
    Re: the 46 grains; did you work up to that in another rifle, or take it at face value from a manual?
    Lee does give 46 grains of 4831 as their maximum for 100 grain bullet in the .243 , BUT,
    Hodgdon shows 42 as max.
    Not a bad idea to consult several sources and start somewhere below the lowest charge shown as maximum. Just too many variable at play.
    Good luck.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    are the fired cases shiny on the mouth area? as if they were pressed against the rifling? Is the mouth of the case crimped in some way??