In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45-70 Help

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
HI:

Really new to all of this so I apologize in advance if this is really dumb. I'm loading Government 45-70 in a single stage Lee press. Size the case and the expand the neck a little. When I press in the bullet I get a slight bulge on one side of the case. The bullet seems to fit OK with the die that seats it but I must be doing something wrong. Still can shoot it and the grouping was not bad. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cary

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If you are full length sizing, I would suspect that the bullet is slightly oversize as is common enough for lead bullets. Try a Lee Universal Case Expander die.
  • Options
    788-308788-308 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poor man's long way of curing the problem;

Back the FL sizer die out of the press, 1/4" or so between the end of the die and the shell holder with the ram at the top of its stroke.

Size case.

Bell the case as usual and seat bullet. If bullet is loose in case, screw sizer die into press 1 turn and repeat.

Sizer adjustment is close when normal thumb pressure on seated, uncrimped bullet will not move bullet further into case.
  • Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help!!