In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cases in the oven. And ar-15 reloading

slagmentslagment Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
Drying shell cases in the oven.
What temperature should cases be dried in the oven? I came across the tip to dry the cases in the oven, but don't think the author ever specified a temperature.

Reloading for ar-15.
I have been having trouble getting my reloads to feed/cycle in my ar-15. Rather then go though the unlimited number of things I could be doing wrong, would some please point me to a good reloading book/website on the topic or outline their own procedure for reloading?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please describe the feed and cycle problems you are having.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    slagment,

This is a very detailed article on ammunition preparation:

http://www.hevanet.com/temple/MatchPrep.html

Don't forget to read the other articles under the included link of Standard Reloading.

The basics are in the front of every reloading manual I've ever read. The above article goes into much greater detail complete with photographs.

Please describe the troubles you're having in better detail.

Best.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello drying cases in oven 250 degrees works but this might be part of your problems it leaves the cases very dry and almost sticky. Get a vibrating case cleaner and get a large bag of the cheapest rice you can find to clean your cases this puts a nice dry polish and is almost smooth/slick works good you also might want to go with small base die set.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Are you full length sizing the brass for the AR? If you are you might have to go to a small base sizing die.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't go much over 180* in the oven,..and with the door cracked open to releive moisture.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you using a seperate factory crimp die? Makes all the difference in a semi auto.
  • Options
    slagmentslagment Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: Are you using a seperate factory crimp die? Makes all the difference in a semi auto.
    I haven't been crimping, but that does make sense. Guess the added pressure would help cycle.
    quote:This is a very detailed article on ammunition preparation:

http://www.hevanet.com/temple/MatchPrep.html
    The website helps, more goes into rifle case preparation then I realized. I've been reloading for revolvers lately, which case perpetration as just been cleaning and a quick glance for defects.

I'll add a crimp die to my long lists of stuff I have to buy, and maybe pick up a tumbler too. Boiling water, adding the white vinegar, and drying cases in the oven is starting to be a hassle.

If the crimping, extra attention to case preparation, and tumble cleaning doesn't work, I'll look into small base sizing die.

Thanks